What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Brake Bleeding

256tylerw

We just blead the brakes and let me tell you what we think is the best way. We got a hand crank fuel pump for rc planes and put one end on the bleeder and the other in the fluid turned the crank and in 3 minutes both sides were done hope this helps someone.

brakes

Yes we pumped from the bottom and also if your system is full already and has air in it you can run the line in the resivoir instead of the can so you can just circulate it till the air is out.

Bleeding brakes

We've used an old "thumb pump" oil can with appropriate size plastic tube from Home Depot etc on the Pitts for years. Works great. You can leave the tube in place on the bleed nozzle while tightening the nozzle after filling, so spillage is minimal. The same rig works to top off the two individual brake fluid reservoirs (if you're down just a little on fluid from minor leakage) from the top. Setting up the -8 the same way. Not easy to include parking brake with this arrangement

Great idea! I even had a RC hand pump I could have used instead of buying a new $12 thumb pump. Oh well no biggie.

I'm curious... Anybody ever considered using Speed Bleeders on their RV? I had them on my last car and it made bleeding the brakes much easier.

Considering we run the fluid "backwards" when doing aircraft, these bleeders wont work. The check valve is biased the wrong direction.

If you wanted to use them, you would have to work from the top (reservoir) down.

Considering we run the fluid "backwards" when doing aircraft, these bleeders wont work.
Yea but why? I know we push from the bottom -- I've done it myself -- but I can't remember why that is. It's friday, my brain is toast. ;)

Yea but why? I know we push from the bottom -- I've done it myself -- but I can't remember why that is. It's friday, my brain is toast. ;)

Typically, we pump from the bottom-up because air goes up and this way we're pushing the air out instead pushing against it.

Back