What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time for other hobbies during build?

While building, I finished my PhD, built a hangar, and we had a baby. Recently I upgraded my music recording equipment and finished a simple rock song, and am almost finsihed recording another one. I am looking forward to having more time for music now that the plane is nearing completion.

Hobbies

Iron is right! FLY! when you are not building.

I have finished up building (RV8,& Super Cub kit), and own two CJ7s, like to jeep in Colorado. I have not gone Jeeping in several years?? The airplanes keep my interest most every day. Maby it is time to think of selling the Jeeps..
My Martin D18 has an inch of dust on it, forsale?

Right now it is flying, flying, working on airplanes, flying, flying, flying...

I Have the bug as well, its like an addiction, you just never know when to stop adding stuff onto them........

IMG_7347.jpg

-david

I try to mix it up. The biggest constraint is my pocket book.

I've got a dragbike project that I've been messing with for a long time. I'm trying to engineer a logic controlled clutch release system for it. The logic is the easy part - getting the right components has been the challenge. It also requires that I write some C# code to upload the clutch release profiles. I'm trying to figure out how to create a bezier curve from a bunch of smoothed data points now. I'm not so serious about competing with this bike as I am just experimenting with it and trying to figure out how to make it faster. It's kind of fun to take it to the drag strip and ride the little beastie.

I was starting to build a front engine dragster but decided to sell it and use the funds build an RV instead. I've also got a Kaw ZX-14 on the auction block.

I've got four Lycoming heads on the way and I'm going to start playing around on the flow bench with them pretty soon.

Another project that's been on the back burner is my V8 Fiero. I bought a 1988 Fiero GT new and when it hit 100k miles pulled the stock motor and put a 406" SB Chevy in it. It's on the rack waiting for a new transmission. Here's a pic of the motor before I put it in. Sorry about the ugly welds - it's the first time I ever tried to build a set of headers.

engine_rear.jpg

Also, flying lessons are high on my list of priorities but I need to get some big jobs to pay for them. I'm watching the Sporty's videos now and spending time with Flightgear so that once I'm in a classroom environment I'll be as prepared as I can be.

We travel when we can and now and then I pick up a camera. Here's some of my photos.

Last edited:
I built this up on Friday night out of a parts kit...

Flat-top A3 chambered in 7.62x39 (cheap ammo).

Not during building

But I been flying the Rv for 3 years..So I decided to go get My Professional engineering certificate (I am licensed in Europe but its worthles over here)..So Far I did the EIT/FE exam in October (I passed..:)..)and it was brutal to get back to graduate level problem solving after 25 years.. now have till October to take the final exam.

So..I'm re-learning to play the drums until I start studying again..:)

Frank

I own a hobby shop and hoping that buildling a plane is what I'll have time for when I'm not doing other hobbies. :eek:

I'm kind of between aviation projects at the moment, so to fill the time I'm building this.
Engine009.jpg

This is the engine install in my replica 66 Shelby Cobra.

Real one

One of my neighbors bought Carroll Shelby's original 66 Cobra at Barrett Jackson a few years ago for 5.5 mil. Man is it saweeet!!!!

I'm kind of between aviation projects at the moment, so to fill the time I'm building this.
Engine009.jpg

This is the engine install in my replica 66 Shelby Cobra.

with and without hobbies

Started building a VariEze in 1971. During that build I also did RC planes, boats, and helicopters. Then went water skiing. Then built a house (2 of them) then raised a family (okay, they raised me) (okay, okay, they tried to raise me). Then raced motorcycles. Then messed with photography. Then model trains. Then more RC airplanes. And golf. Finished the Varieze eighteen years later.

Retired in 2006. Started the RV-7 in 2007. No hobbies. Two years and month later. RV-7 complete.

So would I do it again the same way. Absolutely. Both ways!!

I take it you've seen his collection

Darwin,

I take it you've seen Ron's collection? Barrett Jackson's auction hits the speed channel today so I quess later this week Ron will be on camera bidding on other high dollar desirables.

I'd love to see his collection. I believe Shelby's Super Snake is the car you mentioned in your post.

It amazes me that people have that kind of money to spend.

Back