What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie Down Bracket Strength

Tsabean

Are the tie down brackets on an Rv4 strong enough to use for towing the aircraft? Contemplating using that location to attach a P51/T6 style tow bar.

A couple things..

T6/P51 tow bar goes between the main gear, and I have hooked/unhooked,pulled and pushed many of both (I ran ground ops at airshows, and don't own either)..they are no fun, require 2 people and can wreck things if mishandled...made me a nervous wreck every time I moved one. I can't even imagine using one on my RV-4, especially at the tiedown points. You would have to slide it in place, crawl under to safely hook it up and remove it. Now, there is the guy in Fla with the radial RV-8(painted like a Grumman Wildcat) that made a period correct towbar for his that fit to the inside of each main wheel, and it's really cool. Look him up and copy his idea.

I am not familiar with the 4, but my 6A got stuck in mud up to the axels. I tied a long rope to the tie down eyes and drug it 40' to drier ground. No issues with the tie-down's.

There’s a Tony on Long Island that made a set up for his -7.. perhaps he’ll chime in..

Back