What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle Mixture Cable Bracket Doesn't Fit

David Paule

Well Known Member
I've got an O-320 on my RV-3B project. The photo shows the initial fitting of the VA-149-320-PC throttle and mixture bracket. As you can see, there are a few problems.

First, it contacts the engine mount.

Second, that contact prevents the carburetor from sealing to the oil pan.

And third, there's no room to get the mixture cable oriented properly.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a welder and that capability is lacking around here.

Thanks!
Dave

Cable Holder 1.JPG

Here is a pic of an older VA-149 that Van's sent in 2000 AD, presumably the part was re-designed to what is now available. Something like the old design may work better in your installation and I believe it fits over the carb aft mounting bolts, rather than in between the carb and the sump. If you want I can trace the outline and upload a PDF scan.
20240329_093113.jpg

Since you already have the newer bracket and nothing to lose (and no welding facility) I would cut off the parts that foul the mount and rivet on any required stiffeners and mounting points.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful comment and photo! Turns out that my cables are not compatible with the bracket in any event. I'll think about things a bit more and either do as PaulvS suggested or fabricate something of my own.

The cables are from McFarlane and are Bowden-type cables.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I cut and modified the bracket to get clearance and somewhere near the best alignment. Not much depth back to the firewall to keep the cables reasonably straight without resorting to bellcranks etc. I used 4130 steel and rivets. No weld.

Russell

Attachments

• IMG_5253a.jpg
    IMG_5253a.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 36
I made my own on my -4, bolts to the sump and is made from a couple different pieces then bolted /riveted together. Made from .063 " stainless steel if I recall.

Attachments

• 20191210_070701.jpg
    20191210_070701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: HFS
Hi Dave,

I cut and modified the bracket to get clearance and somewhere near the best alignment. Not much depth back to the firewall to keep the cables reasonably straight without resorting to bellcranks etc. I used 4130 steel and rivets. No weld.

Russell
I did the same to make the bracket work - O320 E2D
mg

Back