What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Those little silver washers used with the rod end bearings

petersb

Well Known Member
My old RV6 had a little silver washer (5702-75-60) next to every rod end bearing in the control system. The RV7 kit includes enough for at least 8 rod ends, however , the plans only show there use on the four rod ends in the control column.

Anyone else notice this, what to do. Actually I am surprised with the amount of extra hardware left over, nice big washers, nuts, bolts etc. I have checked and there is a bolt or rivet in ever hole that requires one.

Comments, Peter

Unsure of the question ...

Four rod ends would generally require 8 of those blasted little washers .... you know, the ones that are impossible to hold in place. ;)

As needed

My understanding is that those little washers should be used as needed. If you have no binding without them, then you are ok, but you of course have to be sure that you really don't have any binding throughout the full range of motion. Probably won't hurt to put them in to be sure, but they do add weight. :)

Don't forget to put on a large washer to hold the assembly in place in the rare case of a complete bearing failure.

If you can, put a piece of blue 3M masking tape on the washer with the whole uncovered and then use that to insert the washer. The tape pulls off easily.

Back