What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking about Airflow Performance

pbesing

Well Known Member
Guys, I'm thinking of scrapping my simmons injection and going AFP. Anyone have suggestions on Cylinder head vs. primer port injection, installation tips (RV-4) do's and dont's, etc?

Hi,

I?ll give you some un-biased opinions (we?re not too biased about our products (of course we are, they're the BEST), but just the facts).
I?m not too familiar with the Simmons Injection installation, so if your installation is already running there may be some air inlet modifications required to make the system fit. Our kits are fairly aircraft specific, so if your engine has an updraft sump like a carbureted engine, our kit would bolt on. The preferred location of the injector nozzles on your installation would be in the tops of the cylinder heads, since I assume your engine is down draft cooled. Again our kit has all the necessary brackets, mounting hardware injector nozzles and nozzle lines to mount these parts on the top of the engine. The RV-360 kit positions the air box mount plate in the identical position as a MA4-5 carburetor. So if your inlet for the Simmons injector is presently connected to some type of air box and the distance is different than above there may need to be some adjustment to the air inlet on the cowl. The engine driven fuel pump would have to be changed to something that provided 25 PSI. I do not know if your accessory section will accept the standard diaphragm pump, although it may be possible to modify the Simmons pump to work, or install a Romec vane pump in the same location. You would be required to run a high pressure electric boost pump (provided in the kit) and install a #4 purge return line to one of your tank feed lines (if your present system already has a fuel return to a tank, you could use that for the purge return). The standard kit we have for a Lycoming 360 RV-4 installation is P/N 8000010. This kit is $3248.64. It comes with the fuel control unit, sump adapter, throttle and mixture control cable brackets, fuel hoses, purge valve/flow divider assembly, injector nozzles, nozzle lines, mounting hardware kits, air box mount, high pressure electric boost pump and fuel filter. This would be a bolt on kit in a RV-4 for a standard Lycoming O-360 A1A using Van?s filtered air box with the injector nozzles installed in the tops of the cylinder heads. If your engine is different from this configuration, we can modify the kit and reconfigure the components as necessary.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Don. Well, the simmonds injection is, well, complicated. The spider is on the bottom of the engine, there is more fuel lines than the space shuttle. The sump is standard updraft, via a Van's FAB, so I'm assuming that it will work. I'm about to put in a throttle quadrant, so it sounds as if it might be a good idea to do the FI at the same time since I'll be routing new cables anyway.

Precision Airhawk compatible ?

Is the forward facing Silver Hawk EX fuel injection unit compatible enough to bolt on the ram air unit that I've seen on some of the Airflow performance units ?

I'd like to setup my IO 360 with forward facing injection simlar to Dan Checkoways and others and have filtered air from the snorkel filter up top, and then use a cable to open the valve to straight-in ram air when flying at altitude.

Is it possible to use this on the Silver Hawk EX unit ? If not, does anyone else make something similar that would work ?

I?m not aware of Precision providing any support (adapters, airboxes etc.) for their equipment. We provide support equipment for our products and have an adapter that will allow installation of our FM-200 Alternate Air Duct on a Precision RSA-5 fuel control. It?s not cheap but it can be done.

Don

Fuel Line Routing

Hi All,

I have an O-360 vertical draft, converted to Air Flow Performance FI by Ly-con. I'm planning the fuel line routing now and need info about the fuel line that goes from the servo up to the spider. The fittings installed by Ly-con indicate the line should go up between the cylinders on the left side; there is a hole/grommet in the intercylinder baffles there and the fitting in the spider points down between the cylinders . Are there any concerns with the proximity to the cylinders with the fuel line?

Thanks
Dave C
-7, so close...

My Airflow Performance set up is as you dscribe, but has the fuel line coming up through the inter-cylinder baffle on the right side, not left. This seems to be standard practice, but make sure you use firesleeve on the fuel hose.

erich weaver

Another airflow question

Don

I've seen discussion of upper deck referenced fuel pressure on other turbocharged fuel injected systems. Would this be necessary with an airflow system?

Upper Deck Reference Lines

Upper reference deck lines are necessary for any type fuel injection using air-bled nozzles and the nozzles are located after the compressor, if the engine is turbo/supercharged, or any time the manifold pressure will exceed ambient pressure. Since Airflow Performance uses air-bled nozzles, the deck lines are necessary if the engine has a turbo.

Don

Back