What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 9.20.2024. #6174. The Fri/Sat/Sun edition.

Wishing you and yours, a happy, safe and RV filled weekend!
v/r,dr

Flap Hinge Pins ….couple examples how builders did it.
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 8.54.00 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 8.54.10 AM.png

Status Update …clambake
Been busy, made some good progress. Fuselage is just about finished. Since my bulkhead flanges were separate, I back riveted them directly to the skin and then clecoed all that back to the canoe. All inside riveting is finished and just waiting on a friend to help me finish the rivets on the side that I can't reach alone. Canopy frame and tail modifications will start soon. I'm also adding a tail reinforcement to the fuselage that I don't have pictures of yet, still waiting on some fresh .063 to show up.
Also got the throttle block mostly finished, just need to add some structure for it to mount to and then move all the cables from the original throttle and make a "patch" for the hole that will be left.
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 7.57.55 PM.png

Fast RV-10 Datapoint …Richard Connell
There really are too many variables.
…Mine also 9:1 but with a SP cowl, CAI and a hartzell 3 blade. It’s maybe got 285hp
Best power and light I can easily get 178TAS at 8k. But that’s thirsty so I rarely do that. I assume the extra hp roughly offsets the extra blade.
…Cruise for me is more like 172 LOP.
At gross you can knock 3-4 kts off both those TAS. Higher is better.
…I’ve no doubt Vans numbers are achievable with a stock engine and prop setup. The key is reducing drag. So a plane that is rigged as straight as possible - with as little as possible hanging off it.
…Things I did to reduce drag: I have a blade comdat to get rid of the GPS antenna, a blade transponder antenna. A nice tight 1/8 spinner/cowl gap, SP cowl with the nose gear/exhaust fairing under the cowl and a plenum.
It’s hard to quantify what difference each of these make - if any - but I believe it’s definitely a game of incremental gains.
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 9.19.07 AM.png

From advertiser:
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 8.02.15 PM.png

Slider Canopy Q: …jimzap
I agree with Jeremy, I'm at the same stage of canopy build and don't understand the plans page 43 Detail B. Sure looks like top of one tube to the top of the other.
But, sounds like final adjustment is best with canopy attached to frame.
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 8.00.22 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_5433.jpg

Please consider donating yearly to help keep this American 1-person pirate ship afloat:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)

Back