What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 8.22.2024. #6153. (2) POHs Added, Oil Cooler woes solved, 2nd batt thoughts, Plenums, Elec issue.

Sometimes I just stare at this website in stunned amazement at the quality of technical knowledge present. I'm very grateful to have this community to bounce ideas and questions off of. So very grateful to bring you VAF as my day job, even though I'm still trying to figure out how to do it <g>..
v/r,dr

POH …sahrens RV-7
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.38.55 AM.png
Related: https://www.vansairforce.net/forums/poh.118/

Positech oil cooler replacement/upgrade needed - solved with viscosity valve
….followup
Follow-up to close this thread. My troubleshooting took me to the Vernatherm. I found it only expanding about half way meaning the oil was always bypassing the cooler. I replaced the vernatherm with a viscosity valve, aka oil bypass plunger. Flew it today (91 deg on takeoff) and found the oil temp was 15-20 degrees cooler. CHT's also came down almost the same amount. At cruise settings it stabilized about 190 OT and 385 CHT. This was the first flight I've been able to try WOT and the temps styed below 200 OT and 400 CHT. The oil temp is a bit hotter than I'd like long term but I don't see the need to change the cooler right away.
For any future searches, here are some pics of the vernatherm and bypass valves. The vernatherm guts can be removed by pulling the wire clip and then the empty housing reinstalled to close the hole. For the bypass, you should not need the cap. That's what is closing the hole now. I didn't realize that so spent $30 more than I needed. I bought Superior parts which are WAY cheaper than the Lycoming, e.g. $20 for the spring vs $220. Just use an "SL" prefix for the Lyc part number.
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 3.56.24 PM.png

Putting skin on ribs
Q:

A:
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.11.41 AM.png

Spinner Update …U2drvr
Final update: new spinner received, installed and flight tested!
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.12.53 AM.png

2nd Battery Thoughts …dmattmul
I have seen 2 examples of 14's FWF pilot side batteries mounted. You might need to be a little creative but it all fits if properly laid out. I have 2 EarthX 900's, 2 shunts, 2 starter relays and 2 battery contactors, fuel pressure regulator along with other misc. "stuff" needed. My only regret was having the 2nd battery mounted down this low. There is a lot of good data on Earth X on this forum and elsewhere. EarthX batteries are now being used in certified aircraft. I've been using this same chemistry in vehicles now for over 15 years (over 5 in a 14) and they have proven very reliable and excellent starting amperage. Saving over 20 lbs. for 2 batteries is well worth the extra layout effort. Mounting an Odyssey battery in the baggage compartment will limit baggage weight to 80 lbs. and if you are using a composite prop almost for sure going to have CG limitations even using a heavy pad mount alternator like the B&C model. That's an opinion of one person but take the time and review options and good luck!
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.13.38 AM.png

Read Previous Editions of the VAF News
…one click away on whatever device you got. A (hopefully) pleasing mix of RV technical and motivational, with a dash of humor at the end. v/r,dr
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.20.53 AM.png

Webb’s Plenum PIREP
I took a slightly different approach. I made rings the shape of the opening and used baffle seal on the rear of the ring so the ring acts as an extension of the cowl and the seal lays on top of the ramp and under the plenum similar to the vans designed use of baffle seal. I elected to go this route instead of a neoprene tube connected to the plenum.
After the bottom cowl is on, the ring is slipped in place, and the plenum is placed on top of the ring. Then the top cowl is placed.
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.37.48 AM.png

DYNON SOFTWARE RELEASE NOTIFICATION
SkyView software version 17.1 is now available for download from the Dynon website for experimental SkyView HDX systems.
NEW FEATURE: Safety-Enhancing Emergency Glide for SkyView HDX and Advanced AF-5000/600
A potentially life-saving feature is now available in SkyView HDX Software version 17.1 and an upcoming software version for Advanced Flight Systems AF-5000/6000 series avionics. The new Emergency Glide feature is designed to help reduce workload in a situation where pilots are easily overwhelmed.
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 9.09.33 AM.png

Tracking down what seems to be an electrical issue

A few months ago, I noticed that my oil temperature occasionally seemed high. Recently, during a flight, the temperature spiked to over 250°F. I decided to turn back to the airport, and during the steep turn, the temperature dropped to normal levels, only to spike back up once I leveled out.
After reading through some forums, I found that someone with the same avionics (AFS 3500) had experienced a similar issue. It was suggested they pull the alternator fuse to see if that was contributing to the problem. On my next flight, I tried this—pulled the fuse—and watched the oil temperature drop from 250°F to 170°F.
However, during that same flight, my CHT started reading high. Pulling the fuse caused the CHT to drop by a few hundred degrees, but it still showed elevated readings for the rest of the flight and taxi. When I toggled the master switch while shutting down, the CHT readings returned to normal.
I initially suspected a grounding issue but haven’t found any problems there. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any insights into what might be causing it?

POH….RV-7. N1976L
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 1.36.58 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_5111.JPG

Donate to keep this site online:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)
https://vansairforce.net/threads/the-vaf-list-a-list-of-rv-related-lists.223964/

FS: My Ford Ranger (our family spare which lives in the hangar).
If you’re looking for a small airport truck with so little modern technology that it would be a minor miracle if anyone under 30 could operative it, my 2010 Ford Ranger is for you. It would make a GREAT teenager’s first vehicle. Probably $9,100. I bought it from Dan Horton a decade ago. The a/c is terrifyingly cold. There are no more tiny trucks for sale in the USA. This is one. AM/FM and no cruise. Clean the interior with a leaf blower. The pic with the two wooden chairs is my son Tate learning how to parallel park on the Charlie taxiway <grin>.
It’s time to let it go, I can’t justify the financial expense of keeping it (empty nesters).
v/r,dr
Details/pics: https://dougreeves.smugmug.com/Ford-Ranger-For-Sale

Last edited:
Back