What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 7.31.2024. #6138.

A sim I was scheduled for Tue from 10pm-3am was scrubbed (thank goodness!!!), but it was too windy to fly for fun Tuesday morning. Spending roughly a dollar a minute to be in the sky has me thinking twice on those flights where you get beat up. Treadmill and Mt. Email it is then….a different kind of punishment ;^).
Hope you have a nice Wednesday.
v/r,dr

RV News That Caught My Eye Over The Last Day or So ….dr

Msstahl Shows Us His Panel
Skyview HDX system with a Garmin 175 navigator. I designed and manufactured the panel with removable switch banks that are illuminated from the rear for night flying. No outsourcing on this instrument panel besides the Dynon component trays which worked very nicely. I really like the contact condition indicators displayed on the HDX system.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.46.09 PM.png

R-0001 platenut strip
Q: Can someone tell me the thickness of this part if you have one you can measure. I really don't want to wait to order one for my new rudder and would rather fabricate it.
A: Fab it out of a piece of .032" - .063”. Put a couple of washers between it and the recesses in the lead counter weight.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.46.33 PM.png

More Firewall Penetrations …PaulvS setup
I used three firewall penetrations for electrical. Top left and top right for engine sensors, cht/egt and magneto P-leads and another penetration lower centre-right for wires to solenoids and panel power and alternator field wire.
The top left penetration should carry the wiring for the left side of the engine/firewall e.g. oil and fuel pressure sensors mounted on manifold, cht and egt for #2 and #4, magneto leads. The top right penetration has wires for cht and egt for #1 and #3, manifold pressure and UMA tach RPM sensor.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.47.44 PM.png

Oil pressure question

Hose Clamp Alternative
I haven’t had much luck sourcing clamps for the intake tubes from McMaster/Grainger etc. Found these and ordered a set. This is a good clamp for Lycoming intake tubes using the stock rubber hoses. The size is correct and within specifications for the size of the tube/hose.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.48.43 PM.png

OSH’24 Field Reports (PIREPs / News / Pics / Recipes)

WDYDWYRTW? (7/27-28/2024)
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.53.45 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_4746.JPG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back