What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….5.1.2024.

A friend texted 'we met 50 years ago today' to me this morning - he'd done the math. Then he told me to do something to myself that started with the sixth letter of the alphabet. It's how we talk. I replied I was mildly happy we met. Capped it off with the little smiley face kissy kissy. We go back....;^). He has a RV-7 these days.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————
Panel Pic …Watzlavick RV-10
Been wiring for what seems like forever but finally have something to show. I tested out the panel on the bench in late December and been running wires behind the panel and to the tail since then. I spent more time than I should have on the backlit panels but they came out real nice. The outside layer is 1/16 inch black on white laser etched acrylic (from Stryker) over a 3/16 inch 3D printed spacer that has slots in it for LED strips. Most of the available LED strips are in 1 inch increments but I found some 0.5 inch strips on Amazon that made it possible as the 1 inch strips would have been too wide in some places. In between the LEDs and the acrylic, there is a blue gel filter to remove the yellow tint from the LEDs so the text matches the Garmin white. I'm running the LEDs at 3.0 V to improve the life (and they're still plenty bright at max brightness) so I added a small linear regulator to run them off of bus power, then use the GAD 27 PWM output to dim them. I'm going to have to work on the discrete LEDs on the power panel, they're way too bright. I picked some really bright ones in hopes of being able to see them during direct sunlight but the GAD 27 won't dim them enough, even at the lowest setting. The headphone jacks haven't been placed yet because I changed my mind where I was going to put them and now there's not a good place. I may put them near those U-channels on the sides. The footwell lights (visible under the panel) are 12 V LED strips, also dimmed by the GAD 27. The panel is Cerakoted so I still need to attach the nameplate and experimental placard. I'm waiting to finish the firewall forward wiring and then I'll tie up the wires behind the panel and post a pic of that. The important circuit breakers are on the front but there is another auxiliary circuit breaker panel under the MFD just to the right of the GTX 45R that is sticking down a bit. I only put breakers on that aux panel that support devices that can be checked during preflight such as the lights, etc.All the stuff dangling down (air data tubes, audio wiring, PFD/MFD/G5 GPS antennas are still in work).
https://vansairforce.net/threads/show-us-your-rv-10-panel.18921/post-1765049
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 6.47.12 PM.png

RE: Bending Fuel Lines …Tom S. Reply
Here is a great idea from a client in Canada that was wanting to duplicate these into a 1 piece tube. He made these in sections connected by a small inserted tube and aligned them. Tape index lines. So all we had to do was put them together, make sure the lines matched and scan them. You can do a similar job in your shop. LOL---getting the prebent tubing in palce might be a fun project---you can alsoo put a AN union in the long sections.
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 6.47.54 PM.png

Oil Cooler 3D …hgerhardt
In the spirit of "education and recreation", why not learn how to design a bellmouth and have it made from nylon-12 via SLS or MJF process? If that's too hard, I'll save you the trouble and send files. The parts below have been on my -6 for about 4 years now and are holding up fine. Send me a PM if interested.
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 6.48.59 PM.png

-14 Panel shot …Georgemohr
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 6.49.41 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 6.45.51 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited:
Back