What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tesla Electric powered RV

I would disagree; the swap-a-pack or "just fill up every few days" model is horrible from both a capital cost standpoint and a battery cost standpoint.

What makes an EV practical for daily driving is the ability to charge at home.

Road trips will still require fast charger stations, but charging speeds are getting fast enough it's just not a big deal, especially if you follow (again) recommended best practice of just charging enough to get to the next stop with margin, and not fill up all the way at each stop.
I agree completely, EV's are horrible. From capital cost standpoint without subsidies. From a road trip standpoint they add considerable duration to the trip even with the current fast charging. In a cold climate that duration can be days. The environmental impact standpoint is a complex argument, In my estimate it is negative.

Of course places like Wy, Mt, Mn, Nd, and Ak would still need ICE vehicles. Or battery stations every 50mi or so during the winter.
I don't even own an EV (well, other than my electric longboard, but that's a sunny day toy) but I do know that they aren't losing 80% of their range in winter. We're not talking about cheapened EV's like a small-battery model that only comes with 150mi range from the factory, we're talking about long-range EV's that advertise 400+mi on a full charge. Those are the systems ripe for conversion.

Back