What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temp probe

Bottom of right wing near the aileron control inspection plate for access. Its far enough away from the fuselage that there is no chance to pick up any heat from the engine or exhaust.

The temperature probes of these designs (JPI, DYNON, etc...."stinger" type probes) are best mounted on the underside of the wing like most guys are posting here. It's because the probe needs to reside OUTSIDE the boundary layer to pick up a ram rise effect when inflight. It allows for a more accurate and consistent temperature reading. At our speeds (<200 knots), the ram rise correction isn't that high (maybe only +2 deg C) but consistency is the name of the game. A probe inside the structure to avoid the airstream might not give consistent readings and drift around too much to be reliable. I guess it depends on how accurate you want to measure it (performance calculations, etc.).

I have two, one in the Naca air duct and one under the wing connected to two different systems/vendor. They both read the same temp and the most variance that I have seen has been +\-1 F which has been for a very short duration of time

Could someone educate me regarding the ram rise effect and true airspeed calculation? Is this factored out by the EFIS? Or does the true airspeed require that the ram rise be left in? In other words, does an accurate true airspeed need the warmer temp in the freestream, or the static air temp?

I put mine under the empennage fairing. On a hot day it might read high on the ground but as soon as you start moving it is within one degree (high or low) of anyone I have flown with.

(Click to enlarge)

Temp probe ram rise

Could someone educate me regarding the ram rise effect and true airspeed calculation? Is this factored out by the EFIS? Or does the true airspeed require that the ram rise be left in? In other words, does an accurate true airspeed need the warmer temp in the freestream, or the static air temp?

Aturner.....

Well, that's a good question. I'm not sure the EFIS systems we use account for the "K" factor ram rise, because if it did during the calibration setup routine, then yes you would have a more accurate true airspeed calculation. But to tell you the truth, I think with these probes and the relatively lower airspeeds we fly, the K factor might not be significant enough to make that much of a difference, (1 or 2 degrees of correction) so it would just use the "total" temp and call it even.

TAT=total air temp, what you see in flight without any correction. Also sometimes called RAT, ram air temp. Some (most?) EFIS systems we use just stick with "OAT" cause it's easier due to the relatively low correction factor.

SAT=static air temp, TAT or RAT temp corrected for K factor--or ram rise increment.

OAT=Officially, outside air temp, more accurately observed on the ground and not moving, but susceptible to radiation effects and possibly inaccurate, especially in the summer.

The ram rise is always positive and the correction to SAT would be to subtract a few degrees to get it. K factor can vary a bit depending on the speed. The higher the speed, usually the more subtraction to get SAT. The probe located inside the NACA scoop is ok because it's just outside the thin boundary layer that exists on that NACA ramp. Boundary layers are small, depending on where they are on the airframe, but can be as little as 1/8" to 1/4" thick in the areas of interest where the probes are located beneath the wing (measured in wind tunnels and/or with hot-wire anemometers-----a different chapter). Temp probes inside the boundary layer (like some old flush bulbs) aren't that accurate and are troublesome because there's too much random drift of the reading. They're not used much any more. That's why you see modern aircraft with temp probes sticking out in the airstream. Especially Boeings, Airbus, military fighters----(Rosemount, etc.) pretty much everything nowadays. It gets more complicated when the probes are heated for anti-ice protection (more sophisticated probes like the Rosemount).....but I won't open that Pandora's box, cause that's the domain of the big guys with lots of speed. Look at Beech, Piper, Cessna, etc...their probes "stick out" into the airstream to get outside the boundary layer.

Hope this helps. My dad always said I give a dollars worth of answer to a nickel question. (Heehee).

Back