What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tapping AEX tie down

CaptPausert

So I got the 3/8-16 tap for the tie downs but when I went to tap it I noticed the hole is too small for the tap. I measured it and it comes out at 0.290" the recommended drill size for a 3/8 tap is 5/16 or 0.3125" I figure I probably just need to drill it to the correct size first but thought I would check here and see if anyone knows of any reason not to? Thanks

You’ll have to drill it out to tap it as you’ve figured out. I used a .311 reamer that came with my tool set that I ordered from Cleaveland Tools. It enlarged the hole quickly and cleanly.

Make proper size then tap. Be warned to use good tapping lube, go slow and back out to clear the chips often. Also don’t use a dirt cheap tap. You do not want to break a tap off in there!

Had to do these on my 7 but the 12 comes pre tapped and anodized. 😛

Make proper size then tap. Be warned to use good tapping lube, go slow and back out to clear the chips often. Also don’t use a dirt cheap tap. You do not want to break a tap off in there!

Had to do these on my 7 but the 12 comes pre tapped and anodized. 😛
If there’s a mistake to be made, I’ve made it!

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 63
Back