What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tapered wing, Rocket Six at Reno

Freemasm

Well Known Member
@RVMills?

There are probably too many configuration deltas from year to year for a true comparison; however, reaching out to the Rocket Six Owner/pilot here. Hopefully he can share his experience/impressions of racing with the new wing, any year-over-year numbers, etc.

@RVMills?

There are probably too many configuration deltas from year to year for a true comparison; however, reaching out to the Rocket Six Owner/pilot here. Hopefully he can share his experience/impressions of racing with the new wing, any year-over-year numbers, etc.

I was able to get a look at the new wing at Reno. Beautiful.

Check this thread for flight test data.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=133700

Thx. Aware of/followed the thread. Reno is a different kind of flying and wanted his impression and year-over-year numbers if he has them.

Scott (Freemasm) and the VAF Gang,

Coming up for air after getting back from Reno, then dashing off to a SWA bud's retirement, and doing a short work trip. Now reconfiguring Rocket Six back into the "normal RV grin" mode. ;)

Rocket Six has raced in Reno 10 times since 2011. We missed 2016 with a cracked engine mount repair, 2020 due to COVID, and 2022 as the wings were in final install mode, and we didn't want to rush it.

The year to year comparison that Scott asked about is 2021 vs 2023. That is the last year with the Harmon Rocket style clipped metal wings, vs the first year with the new Smith Aero Carbon Fiber Tapered wings. Here is a numbers comparison. Keep in mind that year-to-year, even day-to-day comparisons, are somewhat impacted by the temperature, winds, turbulence, and "meat-servo" performance. All speeds are MPH.

Qualified 16th in Sport @ 262.354 (Started 8th in Sport Silver)
Heat 1B (6th Silver): 252.504 (this speed bumped me down to Bronze)
Heat 2C (1st Bronze): 262.223 (this speed bumped me back up to Silver)
Heat 3B (7th Silver): 263.838
Silver Final: Scratch due to FP transducer failure during taxi out

Qualified 23rd in Sport @ 268.460 (Started 7th in Bronze)
Heat 1C (5th Bronze): 257.991 (this speed bumped me down to Medallion)
Heat 2D (1st Medallion): 267.323 (this speeds bumped me back up to Bronze)
Heat 3C (3rd Bronze): 269.662
Bronze Final (5th Bronze): 268.964

General Analysis: At initial glance, one might postulate that the wings increased the max qual and race speeds by about 6 mph. I'm not sure that would be a fully-accurate conclusion though, as there were many variables in play. It would be nice to have more years of flying the same course in Reno, to continue to refine the line and the technique with the new wings...I honestly think we could be faster...as I learned much during the week, and have replayed the races many times, and have strategy I would like to try. Unfortunately, that won't be the case, as this was the final year for the races in Reno.

In both 21 and 23, the N2O system and water spray cooling required a lot of tweaking to dial in. To be honest, I don't think it was ever at 100%...we were chasing cooling issues both years. In 21 we worked a lot on the water spray nozzles to get CHTs in line. In 23, we had N2O system issues (clogged jets and other small malfunctions), and we experimented more with water spray nozzles, and a new-for-'23 ADI system (water-methanol Anti Detonation Injection). We got close, but I was still richening the mixture a bit more than I had hoped during the races, to keep #5 and/or #6 CHTs from running away.

In both 21 and 23, after a good qualifying period, we had issues that slowed us down in Heat 1. As we dialed it in, we got back up to the speeds we qualified at, and then went faster in later heats.

While that 268.460 qual this year was the 5th fastest of all time for Rockets or RVs, it fell short of the 276.899 posted by Todd Rudberg (RV-8 with N2O), which is the fastest Metal Mafia speed ever at Reno. Bill Beaton (HR-II with SC) is right behind at 276.132, with Neil Wischer (RV-8 with N2O...271.954) and Chris McMillian (F1 Rocket with N2O...270.260) the only other Metal Mafia pilots to qualify over 270.

However, we were very happy with that 269.662 mph average speed for Heat 3C, as that was the second fastest RV or Rocket full-race average speed ever. Bill Beaton holds that high mark, at 272.940. During that race, we passed a Lancair Legacy on the start, and gave chase to a Glasair III the entire race...all while hauling around our fixed gear. Perhaps the most fun race in my Reno career, and I think the strongest testament to the performance increase provided by Steve Smith's awesome wings!

One of the most exciting things to have seen during the 2011-2023 period, is how fast Sport Class Air Racing has become. Jeff Lavelle set a new record of 410.635 mph this year, with Andy Findlay right behind at 406.107. Those two, and Jon Sharp, are the elite Sport Class 400 club...WOW!

In that same period, we added 30 mph to our Rocket Six qualifying speed, and 29 mph to our average race speed...while dropping from Second in Bronze in '11 to 5th in Bronze in '23. Just a testament to the popularity, innovation, and experimentation within out Race Class...the class for Experimental Aircraft! We did move from hunting HR-IIs in the early days, to hunting F1 Rockets, Legacies, and Glasairs these days. I want to give a shout out to my two amigos that also flew Sport 49, while I was playing with a Thunder Mustang, a Glasair III, a Legacy and an L-39. Shane Margraves and James Stringer did a phenomenal job flying and racing, and will always be a part of the plane's legacy! Another big shout out to Crew Chief and Airshow Wingman extraordinare, Sean "Goose" Farrell. Best of the best!!

Thanks to the many VAF friends and family that stopped by the pits this, and every, year! It has always been great to share the fun of racing with everyone, and I know Steve really enjoyed talking with the many folks that stopped by to ask questions about the wings.

This year Sport Class Air Racing and it's new subsidiary, Sport Air Racing Council, earned FAA accreditation to conduct single-class Sport Class Air Racing. Our first event is October 21, 2023 at the Las Cruces, NM Air and Space Expo. We sure hope to see many of you out there, and we'll post future events as we build them!

Here's some photos from Reno '23:

James, Sean and Steve out in the staging area:
1.jpg

Taxi out:
2.jpg

Rounding a pylon:
3.jpg

That's a turbocharged Legacy trying to get by (he did):
4.jpg

Fun race in Heat 3C:
5.jpeg

Chris in 96 giving chase in the Bronze final:
6.jpg

Just before Home at the finish of the Bronze Final:
7.jpg

Just after Home at the finish of the Bronze Final:
8.jpg

I reckon the sign says it all!
9.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Glad to see an update on this.

I don't mean to change the subject too much, but how do you see things changing with the speed limit in the October race? How are the pilots expecting a new strategy to play out?

Glad to see an update on this.

I don't mean to change the subject too much, but how do you see things changing with the speed limit in the October race? How are the pilots expecting a new strategy to play out?

Nate,

As we build Sport Class racing, we're working hard to build street cred among the airshow industry and the insurance industy, by showing our commitment to safety, solid training and racing SOP utilization, and a professional Sport Class Culture. I believe those are some of the absolute strengths of Sport Class Air Racing and Sport Air Racing Council, and I believe that anyone that has attended our Formation Training & Pylon Race Training, and that has raced with us, will back that up.

Honestly not just words or slogans...we believe our success, and the survivability of air racing, depends on all of that. We have to be safe, as well as provide good airshow/air race entertainment. The industry is risk and accident averse...and should be. Insurance is one of the very long poles in the tent. It was RARA's largest single budget item...by quite a margin. It is proving to be one of our highest hurdles.

Therefore, one of our strategies is to adopt crawl, walk, run, and that is in keeping with the guidance of the Air Boss for the Las Cruces Air and Space Expo (actually, its verbatim to the guidance he is providing to the event promoters). Our first event in Madras was on a shorter course, due to physical constraints. It was our accreditation event as an Air Race Organizer, and we established a 250 mph limit. Most of the planes there were RVs that were sub 250 racers, but a couple of us were not, and we simply complied with our throttle hands. It wasn't fake racing, as most of the field was all-in...and our goal was accreditation and entertainment. We achieved both, and the event was well-received.

In Las Cruces, we have the ability to design courses that can fit all the way up to Sport Gold speeds (400+ mph). For this first event, that crawl, walk run philosophy means we've established a 325 mph guideline/limit for the event. That means we're flying primarily Sport Silver and Gold aircraft. It will be a really fun and entertaining race among Legacy and Glasair aircraft, with some of our biggest name racers in attendance.

A we progress and build new race venues, which Sport Class aircraft come to race will depend on the size of the course we are able to build at any particular venue, and how many heats of racing the show promoter has available in the show schedule.

A 4-mile course would be a fit for Medallion and Bronze racers. A 6-mile course would be a fit for Medallion, Bronze and Silver racers, and an 8 mile course would bring in Medallion, Bronze, Silver and Gold. What is being termed a speed limit in the crawl phase will become a guideline for which aircraft a course/venue is appropriate for, versus a limit.

Teaming with airshows is our initial business model. It provides a way to bring racing to the fans, while teaming with airshow hosts for the vast logistics and regulatory steps involved in putting on an aviation event.

Racing is our passion...perhaps obsession. ;) We're working hard to keep that dream alive!

Cheers,
Bob

Thank you for taking the time to explain with a little more detail Bob! I'm a big fan of sport class racing and look forward to following along as the new era develops.

Can we fly into the expo?

Nate,

As we build Sport Class racing, we're working hard to build street cred among the airshow industry and the insurance industy, by showing our commitment to safety, solid training and racing SOP utilization, and a professional Sport Class Culture. I believe those are some of the absolute strengths of Sport Class Air Racing and Sport Air Racing Council, and I believe that anyone that has attended our Formation Training & Pylon Race Training, and that has raced with us, will back that up.

Honestly not just words or slogans...we believe our success, and the survivability of air racing, depends on all of that. We have to be safe, as well as provide good airshow/air race entertainment. The industry is risk and accident averse...and should be. Insurance is one of the very long poles in the tent. It was RARA's largest single budget item...by quite a margin. It is proving to be one of our highest hurdles.

Therefore, one of our strategies is to adopt crawl, walk, run, and that is in keeping with the guidance of the Air Boss for the Las Cruces Air and Space Expo (actually, its verbatim to the guidance he is providing to the event promoters). Our first event in Madras was on a shorter course, due to physical constraints. It was our accreditation event as an Air Race Organizer, and we established a 250 mph limit. Most of the planes there were RVs that were sub 250 racers, but a couple of us were not, and we simply complied with our throttle hands. It wasn't fake racing, as most of the field was all-in...and our goal was accreditation and entertainment. We achieved both, and the event was well-received.

In Las Cruces, we have the ability to design courses that can fit all the way up to Sport Gold speeds (400+ mph). For this first event, that crawl, walk run philosophy means we've established a 325 mph guideline/limit for the event. That means we're flying primarily Sport Silver and Gold aircraft. It will be a really fun and entertaining race among Legacy and Glasair aircraft, with some of our biggest name racers in attendance.

A we progress and build new race venues, which Sport Class aircraft come to race will depend on the size of the course we are able to build at any particular venue, and how many heats of racing the show promoter has available in the show schedule.

A 4-mile course would be a fit for Medallion and Bronze racers. A 6-mile course would be a fit for Medallion, Bronze and Silver racers, and an 8 mile course would bring in Medallion, Bronze, Silver and Gold. What is being termed a speed limit in the crawl phase will become a guideline for which aircraft a course/venue is appropriate for, versus a limit.

Teaming with airshows is our initial business model. It provides a way to bring racing to the fans, while teaming with airshow hosts for the vast logistics and regulatory steps involved in putting on an aviation event.

Racing is our passion...perhaps obsession. ;) We're working hard to keep that dream alive!

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, I searched online and read all about the Las Cruces expo, but I can’t find an answer to they’ll allow spectators to fly into the expo or is it a drive only event?

Back