What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel wire route through aft bulkhead?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Could someone with a taildragger please post a picture of where they ran the tail light wires through the aft bulkhead.

I have been scratching my head over this one for some time, all I have found are pictures of 7/9A's, which don't help me much.

Thanks!

The latest RVator from VAN's showed that they route their wire just below the lower stringer on the side of the bulkhead. They did not go through the spar of the vert stab so that it could be removed without having to deal with the tail light wiring.
Sorry, I don't have a picture to post.

Tail light wires

I've got three articles here showing the rudder fairing:

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20040924234018444

I have not been able to find my pictures of the aft bulkhead, with the exception of one bad picture in the third article.

Basically, I just drilled a hole just under the rudder attach bracket and put a snap bushing in there. I've slotted the rudder fairing, and covered the wire with some really tough plastic tubing (tygon, I think) so it won't wear through. The slot allows the rudder to turn freely without binding on the wiring. I also put a little "cap" on there so that no crud will fall down into the rudder fairing. I don't really have a "money photo" to show here, but if you check the link I think you'll get some ideas.

We just did that last night. By the sounds coming from my collegues it was not easy ;) but it turned out quite good, see picture.

1703tailwire0za.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I'll drill the hole tomorrow and run the wire.

sf3543, I saw that article in the RVator but it was a -6A and I think the TW bracket goes right where they showed that hole but I will check this before drilling. Thus my question.

Back