What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel/Towbar Question

KentuckyMike

Well Known Member
I have an older RV6 (1991 Serial number 20018). It has a single fork tail wheel as seen in the picture. For Christmas I received a Bogart Bogi-Bar tow bar. Obviously it need two bolts to grab onto. There is a flat spot on the single fork side so I guess I could tack weld a stub there but I was wondering if anyone else solved the problem short of changing the tailwheel to one with more clearance. Also is this one of the early Aviation Products tail wheels?

Thanks,
Mike

bogibar.jpg

tw1.jpg

Last edited:
Tailwheel

Looks like an Aviation Products one to me.

Depending on which bar you have? Doesn't it straddle the wheels thru bolt?

I would think it would still work, even on the single leg tailwheel as you have.

Maybe modify a wheel bolt to suit the towbar.

Ted

That's definitely the Aviation Products tailwheel. I've seen some people do what you mention -- weld a little stub on to the flat spot. Another approach I've seen is to drill a shallow hole in the flat spot, say for example a 3/16" drill bit and go in about an 1/8". Then weld (or some other fastening approach) an AN3 bolt into one of the ends of the bogi bar to act as a pin to go into the hole you drilled. So, one side of the bogi bar goes over the axle nut and the other side has this bolt/pin to go into the hole. The shallow hole in the tailwheel flat has a cleaner look than a welded on stub. Hope this helps. I have been using that tailwheel on my RV-6 for 12 years and am very happy with it. Dave

Whoops!

Now that I look at your picture again I see that you have no bolt through axle. Sorry about the bad post! The axle is actually welded to the fork leg.

Like you said, you could tack a stub on the flat side of the axle.

The Aviation Products standard two fork unit uses a bolt through and would be an easy fix to accommodate your tow bar. You can buy just the fork and not a whole assembly. They are a great company and a replacement fork would be very reasonably priced. Give Karen a call at 805-646-6042.

Ted

TOW BAR

EVEN IF YOU GET THE NEW FORK, WHEEL, AND THE AXLE, YOU WILL NEED TO RETURN THE TOW BAR IN THE PICTURE AS IT IS FOR AN "A" MODEL. YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO HAVE A SET OF BUSHING MACHINED FOR THE AXLE ENDS AS THE BOGART BAR ENDS ARE TOO SMALL TO FIT OVER THE AXLE ENDS. SAVE THE MONEY FOR THE NEW WHEEL AND AXLE AND GET THE BUSHING MADE FOR YOU PRESENT SETUP. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

More Confused

Thanks for all the comments.

I purchased the Bogert Model 4-RV for Vans RV3, RV4, RV6, and RV8 Tail wheel RV's. The only A model I saw listed was for the RV10. Now I am more confused. Do the advertised units for RV's require bushings to be made?

It appears the tow bar I have would work if I had something to put each end tube over. I guess I'll either weld on a stub or drill a hole. I just hate to start modifying something new but it looks to be a good tow bar. I was also concerned about the width if I change forks as the bar only opens to 5 3/8" wide.

Thanks again,
Mike

TOW BAR

CALL BOGART. THE ONE THEY SENT ME WAS FOR AN "6A" MODEL TO GO OVER THE WHEEL PANT, AND NEITHER FIT KARENS TWIN FORK AXLE. A FRIEND MACHINED TWO DELRIN BUSHINGS WORKS GREAT! IF YOU UPGRADE TO THE TWIN FORKS, IT IS ALSO A GREAT TIME TO ADD A BRASS INSERT TO FORK SPRING BLOCK. THE ALUMINUM TENDS TO LOOSEN UP. I GOT THE TWIN FORK - NEW WHEEL COMBO FROM KAREN. IT IS FANTASTIC!! SHINEY CHROME!!! I'LL POST PICTURES ON SATURDAY. DK

Thanks to all

Problem solved. I took the tail wheel off this morning and there appeared to be enough room to drill and tap a hole. I almost got it in the center. After threading the hole, I put 1 nut and a lock washer on with a short 3/8 bolt and now the bar has something to grab onto.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

dsc00222mediumaa7.jpg

dsc00224mediumxy0.jpg

dsc00227mediumxu7.jpg

Tow bar

Sorry about the photo posting. I am beyond dumb when it involves this stuff. Note the distance between the arms of the tailwheel tow bar. Watch the DR's video of the tow bar. You will notice the difference between the picture posted in the beginning of this thread and my picture. The twin forks have the large nut on the end of the axle as well, but I thought drilling the might change the integrity of the axle so the bushings are an easy solution.

Tailwheel towbar

We've treaded a rope under the rear gear leg and over the steering bracket and tied knots at the end. Works great

I have an older RV6 (1991 Serial number 20018). It has a single fork tail wheel as seen in the picture. For Christmas I received a Bogart Bogi-Bar tow bar. Obviously it need two bolts to grab onto. There is a flat spot on the single fork side so I guess I could tack weld a stub there but I was wondering if anyone else solved the problem short of changing the tailwheel to one with more clearance. Also is this one of the early Aviation Products tail wheels?

Thanks,
Mike

bogibar.jpg

tw1.jpg

If you just want the standard Vans tailwheel yoke (U shaped yoke), let me know. I have two of them. I’ll give you one if that’s what you want.

Problem solved. I took the tail wheel off this morning and there appeared to be enough room to drill and tap a hole. I almost got it in the center. After threading the hole, I put 1 nut and a lock washer on with a short 3/8 bolt and now the bar has something to grab onto.

If you just want the standard Vans tailwheel yoke (U shaped yoke), let me know. I have two of them. I’ll give you one if that’s what you want.
Looks like he got it figured out in 2008.

Back