What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone part PART ID

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
HAS ANYONE FOUND THAT THE LEFT AND RIGHT SHEAR CLIPS (F-1284) CALLOUT( PAGE 10-03, FIG. 4) IS REVERSED??

WHEN I TRIED TO ATTACH THE CLIPS (PAGE 10-06, FIG. 2) THE CLIPS DON'T MATCH THE FIGURE. LOOKS LIKE THEY SHOULB BE REVERSED.

I AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG??

GARY

I just logged on to ask that very question. I think they are reversed. They just won't fit using the part numbers. I am going to reverse them and continue to build.

Good catch! I ran out and looked at the finished tail cone and sure enough it is switched. F-1284 L&R on page 10-3 is mismatched. Reverse them and you are good to go.

Send Van's an e-mail on your find.

Agreed

I ASSUMED I had marked them wrong, and did not even look back. Thanks, I did mark them correctly - they were just reversed.

John Bender
Iowa

Thank you VERY MUCH for the information. Will get to that part in the next few days. Keep the information coming on plan discrepancies.

I ran into this awhile back and called and talked to Ken Scott about this. He agreed that the parts are backwards. I'm surprised that they have not put out a correction.

Keep it up!!!

I'd like to thank all you guys for finding and working out all the little bugs! (Not that there are many) Hopefully by the time I am able to actually order my kit... everything will be in order... and the instructions all clarified! :D

DJ

THANKS GUYS

BECAUSE THESE DRAWINGS HAVE BEEN SO CLEAR SO FAR AND WHEN I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE IN THE PASSED IT'S BECAUSE I DIDN'T READ CLOSELY, I WAS CONCERNED.

GARY

Same Issue

I was just at this step tonight and was pleased to find this.
I am surprised that there is not a revision change on this yet.

I love this site!

If you look at page 10-06 Fig 2 you will see the shear clip is drawn correctly in the installation step. What I found to be more of a problem was on the same figure two, right hand circle detail, where it tells you to match drill the stiffeners and use two AN470AD4-4 rivets. I found these too long to squezze without bending over. I wondered why they were not LP4-3.

clips

Hi I spent a couple of hours on the same thing...Looked at it again the next morning and then called the factory H E L P yes they need to be reversed
it had me wondering what was going on
I had the same problem

F 1284 R & L page 10 - 3

Figure 4 on page 10 - 3 still mislabels these parts on my plans which were shipped in Feb 2011.

Thanks to those that have posted on this.

-Dave

To help future builders retain sanity....

When there is clearly a problem in the documentation I suggest you send an email to Van's Support, to remind them a revision is needed. They have made many revisions in response to builders requests, but this one appears to have slipped through the cracks.

I just went right by that mistake without notice. I had to go check to see if I put them on correctly, which I did.

The main reason for building an RV...

You guys and Vans - always there even on Sunday!

Just ran into this myself. I didn't mark the parts because it was obvious (to me at the time) which one was left - right. Holes at top.. holes at bottom. I get a little nervous putting something like this together when it doesn't follow the docs. I imagine trying to drill this puppy out after it's well buried in the assembly. I could tell pretty much that the clips were reversed (the drawing is clear especially if you use the holes to determine the direction of the bend - away from you) but the R/L are backwards.

As for the rivets - I'll use what meets spec. I used what was called out for the bulkhead and where the two pieces pick up the servo bracket those were just too short. The shop head was about half what it should have been. Took a longer rivet and cut it down and now it's in spec.

Thanks RV'rs

Still wrong…

An old thread but apparently still wrong on the drawings. I thought I was losing it 🤪 ( perhaps I am but, for other reasons 🤣)

Back