What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Dragger -10?

Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
The -7 I have owned and flow for the last 12 yrs has been an incredible plane, and is the first tail dragger I owned. I had a Grumman Cheetah for 4 yrs followed by a C-336 Skymaster for 10yrs (a Suburban for the sky as opposed to the -7 Corvette for the sky)

I don’t want this to be a nose vs. tail dragger “popcorn debate”, however, I have enjoyed the characteristics of flying a TG, that I wondered if a -10 has been considered for conversion to TG? Has anyone looked at this and/or discussed with Vans?

The -7 I have owned and flow for the last 12 yrs has been an incredible plane, and is the first tail dragger I owned. I had a Grumman Cheetah for 4 yrs followed by a C-336 Skymaster for 10yrs (a Suburban for the sky as opposed to the -7 Corvette for the sky)
I don’t want this to be a nose vs. tail dragger “popcorn debate”, however, I have enjoyed the characteristics of flying a TG, that I wondered if a -10 has been considered for conversion to TG? Has anyone looked at this and/or discussed with Vans?

The aft portion of the -10 fuselage is not conducive to the loads of a taildraggger.

Short answer is no. Along with the emp, there was never any provision in the mid and forward fuse for supporting a TD option. You’d basically have to design a new plane.

Thanks…but no

Perhaps the RV-15 is the tail dragger you are looking for?

The -15 is not my mission, as I like the speed and efficiency of 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10…and I know the -10 can do reasonable grass strips, but like the added prop clearance and feel of the tail wheel when into the rougher places. I guess if I really need those extra 2 seats I’ll suffer a nose dragger.

Thanks to those who commented….I had thought that was likely the case!

In addition to all the structural reasons this is a bad idea, it's not exactly convenient to mountain climb your way up out of the back seat of a 4 seat tail dragger. I'd imagine it could be downright annoying on something like the 10 where you're basically sitting on the floor.

In addition to all the structural reasons this is a bad idea, it's not exactly convenient to mountain climb your way up out of the back seat of a 4 seat tail dragger. I'd imagine it could be downright annoying on something like the 10 where you're basically sitting on the floor.

You should try it in a StaggerWing!:eek::D

Any one out there that are dreaming/building/flying a 'Super-14' stretch? Some folks have done something like this with Super 6's, Super 7's & Super 8's in the past.

Short answer is no. Along with the emp, there was never any provision in the mid and forward fuse for supporting a TD option. You’d basically have to design a new plane.

this
u-00018-pc.jpg

is about the only difference in aft fuselage between RV14 and 14A

I'm building a 10 and honestly don't see any reason why it couldn't be converted to TD. If I only knew how....

Last edited:
this
u-00018-pc.jpg

is about the only difference in aft fuselage between RV14 and 14A

I'm building a 10 and honestly don't see any reason why it couldn't be converted to TD. If I only knew how....

Not saying it can’t be done but I’m not an engineer so I’d be leery of looking at a single weldment with no other analysis and assuming that it’s as simple as part swap. YMMV…..

Last edited:
about the only difference in aft fuselage between RV14 and 14A

But on the -14 it was designed with the taildragger option in mind, and the fuselage strengthened accordingly. Van's could have optimized the fuselage for weight savings on the -14A but kept it the same for commonality purposes.

The -10 was never intended to have a taildragger option and there are probably several areas that would need some strengthening beyond just adding the weldment for a tailwheel strut. It could be done, but you'd need a full engineering review (not just TLAR) and probably some other changes throughout the fuselage.

I agree a tailwheel -10 would be cool, but I'd bet the sales numbers would be even lower than the taildragger -9 if Van's offered it as an option, and the effort to do a modification probably wouldn't be worth it.

Back