What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tablets

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
it seems like it is kind of ''black magic'' to find a tablet that is bright enough. all kinds of specs listed but the one that measures brightness is ''nits''. how many have never even heard of that and it is not in the specs of the tablet ads. seems that the nexus 7 gen 2 [from 2013] had exceptional brightness with almost 500 nits.
the tablet is getting close to losing support . does anyone have experience with a nexus 7 gen 2?

I used a nexus 7 gen 2 for quite a few years. Worked great. Today I flew for the first time using my new Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, sky was partially cloudy at 10 AM. It worked great, I have no complaints and it was only like 129 dollars. Was running Avare flying over a sectional, and had ADSB streaming in. I am waiting to see what it looks like under clear skies at noon, but from my backyard test, it will still be good.

600 nits

Same here - my old 10.5" iPad Pro is fine - 600 nits. But I'm still flying certified planes without canopies.

I also own a 2013 Nexus 7. The auto-rotate function quit working about 5-6 years ago - not used in flight anyway. No problems with screen viewing. I use Garmin Pilot and GDL-39 for wx and traffic. The only issue with the unit was that you couldn't use and charge simultaneously so the battery would die after 3-4 hours.
I no longer use the Nexus in the plane since I did a G3X Touch panel upgrade 2 years ago.

I actually run two tablets. An iPad Pro 11 for Foreflight and an iPad Mini 6 for the IFD100 app which give full-screen duplication of my IFD440 navigator/FMS. Like everyone else, I could display sectional info on my PFD but I elect to use it solely as a PFD and EMS display. My other full-size display is a moving map, traffic, and weather (ADS-B in). Foreflight gives me the sectional mapping and all the other doodads that Foreflight does. Modern flight decks do provide with a dizzying array of options.

... I flew for the first time using my new Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, sky was partially cloudy at 10 AM. It worked great, I have no complaints and it was only like 129 dollars...

I run a Tab A7 Lite as well and have no issues in middle of the day. Works great

I am using a Samsung Tab 8", it is just bright enough to use. I also have an iFly 740 which is over 1200 nits and blows the tablet away for visibility in the sun.
The next tablet I buy will be a Tripltek 8" Pro - also 1200 nits. It's designed for flying drones in full sun. https://www.tripltek.com/

In my 8 the iPad is just ok with a Koger sunshade overhead. The iFly 740b is very good. I use a Tech Armor screen protector to cut down on reflection on both devices.

It is all about the nits. Apple has no interest or need to increase the screen brightness according to them. I sure would like to hear more about this device that was just mentioned.

i have the galaxy a7 and with no sunshade it is definitely no good for me. i have a sun shade to install so maybe that will make a difference.
i am a daytime vfr pilot so i have no need/ desire for foreflight. i know the i pads are bright enough but i don't have one small enough and can't see buying another for the plane. after some poking around i learned that the nexus 7 gen 2 has 600 nits. so for $45 on ebay i will find out in the next week.

I sure would like to hear more about this device that was just mentioned.

It's all on their website.
https://www.tripltek.com/tripltek8
I know of one pilot running iFly for Android on it and he loves it.

Specs:
Display
Operating System
Memory
Processor
Cellular and Wireless
Navigation offline
Rugged Features
Camera
Sensors
Language
Size and Weight

8-inch(diagonal) LED backlit

1200 nits Sustained Brightness

2560 by 1600 pixel resolution

Fully laminated display

Glove-Touch and Wet touch

Antireflective UV coating

Oleophobic coating, fingerprint resistant

Android 10 Google Certificated

8 GB RAM

256GB Internal Storage

Media slot up to 1TB SD card

Octa-Core 64 bits CPU 2.0 (10% faster than 7 PRO Model)

3D Ready GPU (35% faster than 7 PRO Model)

4G LTE Unlocked

WIFI Dual band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)

Cast to Wireless Display

Data and voice capable. Earpiece integrated

FDD-LTE B 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20

TD-LTE B 38/39/40/41

Bluetooth 4.2

NFC

Nano SIM card

GPS +, Glonass , BeiDou

Digital Compass

Waterproof IP68 closed flaps

Dustproof IP68 closed flaps

Dropproof /IK: 4 feet drop

Shake-proof : 1-19Hz/1.0mm; 19-200Hz/1.0g

Operating temperature: 0°F to 120°F

Storage Temperature: -20°F to 170°F

Certification: Military Standard 810G

21 Megapixel 27mm equivalent focal length

8 Megapixel Front camera

Direction Sensor

Gravity sensor

Magnetic Field Sensor

Motion sensor

Rotation Vector

Light sensor

Acceleration sensor

English, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Italian, German, Japanese, Dutch, French, Polish, Romanian, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Indonesian, Malay, Thai, Vietnamese, Hindi, Hebrew, etc.

Size: 8.75x5.25x0.6 Inches(L×W×H)

Weight: 1.3 pounds

Construction: Thermoplastic polyurethane injection and aluminum

Well my bright sun cockpit test of the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite is a success (for me anyway). This tablet however does need to be aiming directly at your face to be fully bright, as it dims quickly with viewing angle. This tab at its brightest is probably at my lowest acceptable limit. Battery life is great though, draining about 15% per hour while also powering a small adsb-in radio.

well, fwiw i got my $43 nexus 7 gen 2 yesterday and it is brighter than my galaxy tab a. the 9 yr old battery keeps a charge and avare runs without a hiccup. i like the little bit smaller size than my galaxy more too. it may take a diver tomorrow but it looks like new and runs the program perfect for now.

I don't know if you mean the Tab A7 Lite, but here are 3 comparison photos of it and the nexus 7 gen2 side by side in direct sunlight. Look about identical. In person I give the nod to the A7 Lite.

Attachments

• Tab-Compare.jpg
    Tab-Compare.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 72
I've been Flying with a Nexus 9 for the last 9 years or so. More than plenty bright enough for an old guy. But now its dying, Won't hold a charge anymore, even tho being charged in my plane. And Google has stopped making Nexus.

So I looked at a Samsung--I think it was an S7 or S8--antway, couldn't fit it in my 8 cockpit. Its on a ram mount But it turned out to be way to tall, going up above my glare shield. So if anyone knows of a super bright tablet, that's not taller than 9 inches, I'm all ears. Can one still buy a nexus 7---If Google stopped making them?

Last edited:
I use Foreflt and an iPad Air 2. I wish Foreflt ran on a droid. FlyQ is similar to Foreflt but for IFR, Foreflt is much simpler to determine the correct Arrival/Departure plate and entries to use. I’ve told FlyQ several times about it so they could mimic how Foreflt does it but they have failed to implement it. That was the only deal breaker for me to switch over to FlyQ.

If you understand what I mean then you know how much quicker it is to determine which arrival/departure to use

my tab is a galaxy tab a. not a lite though. i am assuming the 7 stands for inches so i am calling it an a7. i did the pic test too but my nexus was a little brighter. i didn't add an i pad into it though.
if anyone has any interest in the nexus 7 GEN 2 ebay always has 10-20 for sale. yes, they are 9 yrs old but some are new. just make sure the o.s. is the 6.0 version of android.

Replace the Nexus 9 battery.

I've been Flying with a Nexus 9 for the last 9 years or so. More than plenty bright enough for an old guy. But now its dying, Won't hold a charge anymore, even tho being charged in my plane.

If you are happy with your Nexus 9 why not just replace the battery. I replaced the battery in my Nexus 7 and it is very easy.

Back