What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switch Sub-Panel Layout

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I've been working on my switch sub-panel using the front panel express tool. It's pretty easy to use and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I wanted to ask for a review of my layout since I think I'm pretty close to being done. Any comments on items I left out would be very helpful. I plan to have an IO-360 with dual PMAGs. The drawing primarily shows only the hole cutouts, but for the knobs I temporarily enlarged the holes to show the knob sizes. I can't figure out how to draw reference lines so this is the best way to show the outlines of the larger knobs.

I'm not sure my panel shot is going to be viewable.

rid6pi.jpg
[/IMG]

When I was laying out my panel I struggled with switch spacing. My hands are large enough that spacing is critical. I found 1" center-to-center worked well.

Bill, I've migrated from 3/4" spacing to 0.9" now. I build a switch panel for my flight sim setup as a test with the 3/4" spacing and that seemed fine for me. I can't remember where I found it but I had previously found a mil-spec for switch spacing and that was 3/4" I believe. My current spacing has more to do with having enough room for the labels and also trying to keep the switches as compactly grouped as possible. Certainly 1" would probably be a more standard spacing, but I managed to get everything where I wanted with this arrangement.

Bill, I've migrated from 3/4" spacing to 0.9" now. ...
That will probably work with the breakers and switches. I remember thinking I could place them closer and give myself more room but the problem became one of hitting the correct switch in bumpy air.

My other issue was that I put a throttle quadrant in the center of my sub-panel, so that took up a good bit of room.

If I had to do it all over gain, I wouldn't change a thing. I really like the quadrant. My quad is a two lever (throttle and mixture) and if I ever switch to a CS prop, which is unlikely, I will mount a bracket below the quad to hold a venire style prop controller.

One other thing I did that worked out very well was to group my switches by "Phase of Flight" rather than by "function". Here is an old picture of my panel. (The D100 and D10 have been replaced by a SkyView, the transponder was removed, the EICommander was added, and a few other minor changes.) That should give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Bill thanks for the comments. I've tried to group my switches as you and others have suggested by phase of flight. I also looked at using a quadrant but for the time being I've decided that using the standard controls is one small savings I can make.

Ray

... I also looked at using a quadrant but for the time being I've decided that using the standard controls is one small savings I can make.

Ray

There are two things that make me smile every time I fly; the Andair fuel valve and my DJM throttle quadrant.

If you are going to do any formation work, the quadrant makes it so very easy as you can rest your hand on the quadrant, hook the throttle with your thumb and just move it ever so slightly.

Saving a few dollars here and there simply become rounding errors by the time you are finished.

One other item I strongly recommend is the Bell tailwheel fork!

I can't read the labels in your pic, but I sequenced my switches for an orderly flow during start up and shutdown. For start up I start switching from left to right (except key switch). For shutdown I simply go right to left. I have a relatively simple VFR panel and this works great.

Back