What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Support/Mentorship Options for RV-6a Project

JaradMc

I'm New Here
My father was looking to complete an RV-6a build by the summer of 2020. His project was unfortunately delayed indefinitely due to him passing away from a car crash on November 6th, 2019. This has continued to be hard for my mom, brother, sister and I as we were not able to make it to the hospital he was air lifted to in time to say bye before he had passed. Along with all the other family responsibilities to take care of, my mom had left my brother and I his project to "manage".

Over the past 5 years we have gone back and forth trying to determine how we should proceed with the project. The question has come up wondering if we should sell the remaining project as is or try and finish it ourselves. My brother has finished college during this time and currently lives a couple hours away. My wife and I have moved closer to my mother to help out with odds and ends as she still lives in our family home alone now. I have a young family with my wife which has kept us both very busy. I personally feel a lot of sentimental value toward the project and would love to finish it in his memory.

At the time of his passing, he had the Lycoming O-360 on order from VANS and I continued through with receiving it to not lose out on the deposit that was placed for the order. To help keep myself invested in believing I will one day complete the project, I decided to work toward getting my pilots license. I can proudly say I have received my PPL on August 12, 2021 and have no regrets as the feeling and joy of flying is inexpiable.

I have been storing the project in a T-hanger but have not been able to get passed how daunting taking on something like this is. I had helped him out sparingly throughout the project under his guidance but getting this handed to me as a "whole" is very overwhelming. I see why VANS does not send you the whole kit at once and only begins with the empennage.

I am a member of EAA and I have reached out to our local EAA chapter in my area and there does not seem to be any volunteers that would have the experience/willingness to help on a projects like this. They seem to be more of a "meet for coffee" type of group. I am also aware of the VANS technicians as I have already contacted them with questions while working on mounting the wings which ended up being my first mistake by adding in all the spar bolts before realizing that the rear spar has not been drilled on either side.

To conclude this message, I would just like to ask for any and options for mentorship and/or additional guidance from anyone who may be able to provide it to me. My father was the sole builder and I no longer have anyone to ask questions on with any previous decisions he had made as well as some build quality thoughts/concerns. I do want to make the commitment to finish the plane and would love to be the test pilot for that scary/exciting day once it is finally complete. My dream is to be able to share the experience of flying in my dad's plane with my family as well as volunteer flight time for other to hook young future pilots and builders.

Thank you for taking the time to read,

- Jarad

Very sorry about your dad. What a tragedy.

Yes...local EAA chapters can be a valuable source of help in building an airplane...or not. The "meet for coffee" type of EAA chapter is common, especially in many "less than urban" areas. I'm a member of two EAA chapters...each at an airport 10 miles from my house. Really nice people, enthusiastic pilots, both have Ray Scholarships, etc etc....but with the exception of a guy who built a Kitfox 30 years ago (hasn't flown in 15 years), I'm the only pilot in either club with an experimental airplane. And I didn't build it. Absolutely no help there. Closest EAA tech counselor is 120 miles away.

If you're in the same boat...then I think you will struggle building an RV-6 without a hands-on mentor. If I was in your situation, I'd try to get an EAA tech counselor from somewhere to fly to you and look the project over. An on-site review of your situation and current project may show you options that you haven't thought of yet. Good luck. If there's a way to do it, owning and flying an RV-6 is a great experience.

So sorry to hear about your father. I saw from your profile you are from Alexandria? What airport are you based out of. Hopefully someone in your area will get you a motivation ride and lend a hand. I’ve had the same experience with the local EAA.

Jarad,
The loss of your father comes through your message.
I just finished my RV-6A.
I had some experience, but I too could not have finished it without mentorship.
The enormity of the project, should be reframed as a series of small tasks. Often, these can be completed in a day.
About 2,000-2,200 hours from start to finish.
With a family, job and other life events it is hard to prioritize aircraft labor.
The labor itself brings joy with every small accomplishment.
Where is home base?
Daddyman

Back