What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Cold Air Sump question...

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hey all - we've got a Superior Cold Air sump (metal) on our Tundra IO-360, and I can find pretty much no documentation on it ... and Superior Tech Support is not answering the phone or returning calls. So maybe someone here has played around inside of theirs - I certainly don't want to take mine off for this!

I was installing a sump heater the other day and noticed that in addition to two closely spaced drain plug holes on the bottom (in the little "box" sump that hangs down behind the intake tubes), there is another plug on the left side, just above the drain holes. This is opposite the oil pickup screen hole on the right side.

Anyone know if this (left side) opening is just another direct opening into the sump? It would be more convenient to use it for the sump heater than the extra bottom drain plug because of clearance issues with the exhaust cross-over tube. I assume the extra opening could be used for an inverted oil system, but without documentation, you know what they say about assumptions....

Paul

Hey all - we've got a Superior Cold Air sump (metal) on our Tundra IO-360, and I can find pretty much no documentation on it ... and Superior Tech Support is not answering the phone or returning calls. So maybe someone here has played around inside of theirs - I certainly don't want to take mine off for this!

I was installing a sump heater the other day and noticed that in addition to two closely spaced drain plug holes on the bottom (in the little "box" sump that hangs down behind the intake tubes), there is another plug on the left side, just above the drain holes. This is opposite the oil pickup screen hole on the right side.

Anyone know if this (left side) opening is just another direct opening into the sump? It would be more convenient to use it for the sump heater than the extra bottom drain plug because of clearance issues with the exhaust cross-over tube. I assume the extra opening could be used for an inverted oil system, but without documentation, you know what they say about assumptions....

Paul

Here are some photos of a new Superior Cold Air Sump just in case someone has the same question in the future.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

This is vvv the port on the front.
IMG_1921.jpg

Oil pickup

I was asked after posting the above photos how the oil gets from the sump through the oil pickup screen.

The oil pickup screen is serviced from the large hole on the right hand side / starboard side of the oil sump on tractor airplanes like our RVs.
1  70240534460__A26F8724-0569-4CE0-AE23-CE25636B9ED6.jpg

Shining a flashlight into the sump, one can see where the oil gets into the screen looking through the oil screen service port.
2 IMG_1923.jpg

Looking in the sump, one can just see the machined hole that the oil uses to get from the sump to the screen.
3 70240750929__417BD1B4-F894-4845-A930-97691F904D14.jpg

Using a piece of bent hinge pin, one can see the location of the oil pickup hole and the screen service port.
4 70240769959__214ABC44-8B18-494F-B646-E4F653538705.jpg

The oil sump in back in its storage box on the shelf. Hope there are not any more questions.

Back