What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunshades

asw20c

Well Known Member
Just curious what folks are using for sunshades. I see via google search that Koger makes sunshades. Any feedback on these? Are there others? Likes? Dislikes?

Agree.

I have a Kroger and love mine. Simple design, easy install. The slot in the track doubles as a GoPro mount also!

I have an RV-8, with a tinted canopy, that I’ve been flying for 11+ years. I came close to buying a Koger sunshade but decided against it since I like the unobstructed view and wasn’t keen on attaching a permanent sunshade to the canopy. I have a folded piece of dark tinted window film that i can quickly apply to the canopy while in-flight. It rarely gets used.

FWIW, I too haven’t had good luck using the VAF search engine. I always use google to search this site. I.E. https://www.google.com/search?q=vansairforce.net+sunshade&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS594US595&oq=vansairforce.net+sunshade&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIGCAEQRRg8MgcIAhAAGKIEMgcIAxAAGKIEMgcIBBAAGKIE0gEJMTUyMzZqMGo3qAIAsAIA&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

In the airline world we love a shade called “kinder fluf” on Amazon. Buy a few dark ones then use a pair of metal snips or equivalent to cut and remove the wire. Fold em up when not in use to preserve the stick.

Koger +1

Just curious what folks are using for sunshades. I see via google search that Koger makes sunshades. Any feedback on these? Are there others? Likes? Dislikes?

Love my Koger shade. Very easy to pull back and you’ll never notice it. Need in the 14. I bought one of the first dark tinted canopies from Vans and even in Ohio the shade is needed.

I have a Koger sunshade on my RV 9A slider. It's OK. A bit flimsy, making it dicey to taxi on a hot day with the canopy slid back. OTOH, Jet Shades, while nice, are very expensive.

I searched Kroger and got 28 hits using the "search" on the above bar.
You might get even more hits if you search "Koger" instead of "Kroger". These aren't groceries. ;) I have a Koger sunshade on my sliding canopy 6A and also Rosen sun visors. Very happy with both.

Sorry, Tommy - it was just a little tease said in jest. Did you not see the wink emoji? I meant no harm. Just trying to make a little joke. Sorry it seemed to be at your expense. Please accept my apology.

this is one of the few things keeping me away form being "all in" with my daydream to build an RV.
While I understand the appeal of the unobstructed view, I just enjoy shade too much! These little curtain shades just seem a bit flimsy and a bit too much of an afterthought.....but I suppose they also offer a taste of both worlds!

I think I like the ceiling (along with the doors!) that the RV-10 offers the best, but not an option for the smaller models.... I suppose a ceiling could be painted on.....

I'm leaning towards thinking that a very very dark tint covering the top portion might be the best compromise answer.... What say you other shade lovers out there with actual hands-on experience?

OH I'm soooo sorry I made a spelling error! Jeez.

Could it be the same spelling error that caused the OP to start a thread for the topic after using search?

Hmm... A thread in which someone said in post #2 - "do a search"

Please update your advice to include "do a search with both correct and incorrect spellings." That would likely be more helpful than your prior contributions to this thread.

Last edited:
+1

Could it be the same spelling error that caused the OP to start a thread for the topic after using search?

Please update your advice to include "do a search with both correct and incorrect spellings." That would likely be more helpful than your prior contributions to this thread.

Or possibly the Op wanted an up to date input and had done a search (with misspelled words) ? ;) ;);)

Last edited:

No kidding. Dishing it out but he can't take it. :)

Shades

Bought 4. Two "permanently" installed aft of the roll bar and the remainder either on the sides of the canopy, or forward of the "judiasm" shade, depending on the time of the day/direction of the sun.
Light weight, folds up real small and utterly cheap.

In the airline world we love a shade called “kinder fluf” on Amazon. Buy a few dark ones then use a pair of metal snips or equivalent to cut and remove the wire. Fold em up when not in use to preserve the stick.

Kinder Fluff

Bought 4. Two "permanently" installed aft of the roll bar and the remainder either on the sides of the canopy, or forward of the "judiasm" shade, depending on the time of the day/direction of the sun.
Light weight, folds up real small and utterly cheap.

Gonna remember that one
We have several shades in our vehicles.
They are 8.5x11 black construction paper laminated at UPS.
Slip it into the window seal and it blocks the sun.
Love those home brew solutions.

Back