What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-n-Fun anyone? (April 9-14, 2013)

With luck we will be there Thursday through Sunday ;fuel however, it now looks like the Weather Gods may keep is at home.

If we make it, we will be in HBC.

Ghost in tomorrow

If wx allows we will arrive from key west with another rv9a wed at 11 or 12. One night of home camping and then heading back to canada. Never been to sun n fun. Wife and i are looking forward to it. :)

My Thursday evening arrival with my father is now looking like Friday 'round noon. I can't remember a SNF when I didn't have to modify plans due to wx. :( When we do get there, it will be HBC for us.

My Thursday evening arrival with my father is now looking like Friday 'round noon. I can't remember a SNF when I didn't have to modify plans due to wx. :( When we do get there, it will be HBC for us.

Every year I consider HBC, look at the map (HBC is practically in Tampa) and choose showplane parking and the regular campground.

Am I doing it wrong?

BTW, I'll arrive Thursday AM if the weather smiles on me.

HBC is the place to be!

I like HBC, they sit up a big covered area for everyone to sit around and talk, they have coolers of cold drinks, leaded and unleaded, available for donations.
Friday night they have a cookout meal for everyone that wants to participate at a fair price. It's a good place to meet all the people you know from the internet. I've always parked there and most likely always will. At least when I get the go, this year I'm working and can not attend :-(

can anyone at SnF find out about the conforma wing tips that Aveo Engineering is now selling, specifically pricing and availability are the two things I am very interested in.

Aveo info

can anyone at SnF find out about the conforma wing tips that Aveo Engineering is now selling, specifically pricing and availability are the two things I am very interested in.

Hey Brian,

Izzybear and I went to the Aveo booth today.....no info on the new tip lights...they were very tight lipped and since we forgot to bring our bamboo shoots and thumb screws to make them talk...they said to watch the web site that something should be announced poss tonight!!!! I will try to keep u posted!!!!

Every year I consider HBC, look at the map (HBC is practically in Tampa) and choose showplane parking and the regular campground.

Am I doing it wrong?

BTW, I'll arrive Thursday AM if the weather smiles on me.

Yes you are Kyle. :eek:
HBC is between the paved parking for twins (on the way to chopper town) and seaplane parking on the east side of the field. For me HBC is a great location and the shuttles usually ease the walking distance considerably. Get that HBC sign made up and see where they park you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Can't beat the comaraderie either :)

Yes you are Kyle. :eek:
HBC is between the paved parking for twins (on the way to chopper town) and seaplane parking on the east side of the field. For me HBC is a great location and the shuttles usually ease the walking distance considerably. Get that HBC sign made up and see where they park you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Can't beat the comaraderie either :)

What's vehicle access over there? Can you get a car in? My buddy drives over and brings an SUV full of stuff. I don't see us schlepping all that stuff very far.

Mike,
If you are just flying in for the day you will want GAP for general aircraft parking.

Thanks for the info, folks.

Snafu #1: my son has three major tests on Friday, and that is just too much to miss (having already made up for two weeks of mono this semester). So it will just be Dad and I flying in, SNO will do Southwest to Tampa Friday night. At least he gets Saturday, and my Dad will still get to brag about the Sr/Jr/III flight home on Sunday. On the plus side, Dad and I can leave earlier tomorrow.

Got the info from the FBO that there is, in fact, a south to north shuttle to the terminal building, so that will cover our trek to the Hilton.

Fabricated some aluminum chocks today on the mill to replace the 12 lb monsters we normally use, so I guess I am in the mood and ready (although my deburring of the lightening holes leaves a lot to be desired)!

I like their products, but Aveo's execution and customer relationship management is really lacking

They are terrible at press releases, sharing prices, and their distributors never seem to know what is going on with their products. I used the form on their page that apparently goes straight to their CEO, zero response.

Top it off with not being american made, and I'm frustrated with them- have they still not said a a price on the RV conforma wing ziptips?

LAL arrival tonight

Just about to head to the airport to catch a SWA flight to SnF. I hope to see some of you there. There is a long list of things that I want to see for my RV-8....panel dreaming, new seats, harnesses, and on it goes. Oh yeah, I have a forum to give on Sat. If anyone want to hear a talk on what is new in medical, come on by (it is listed to be given with Dr. Greg Pinnell). It is a tag team talk and there is a brand new FAA product for special issuances that we on the EAA aeromedical council have been working on helping the FAA develop. It looks pretty good.

Got the VAF hat packed!

John

It is a tag team talk and there is a brand new FAA product for special issuances that we on the EAA aeromedical council have been working on helping the FAA develop. It looks pretty good.
John

John,

Please share for the rest of us that can't attend!

CACI

I just have a minute...literally going to the car.

CACI (conditions that AMEs can issue). It is a new program to allow AMEs to issue certificates at the time of the exam by following a checklist for many problems that used to take a special issuance (and delay it until weeks or months later). We pitched it to the FAA several months ago and to their credit have gotten it to the street pretty darned quick. It will not only help the airman getting the CACI but should reduce the backlog for everyone else because there will be fewer for the FAA staff to handle.

Got to go. I'd be glad to answer any other questions either from the airport or when I get to LAL....between vendor stops!

John

I just have a minute...literally going to the car.

CACI (conditions that AMEs can issue). It is a new program to allow AMEs to issue certificates at the time of the exam by following a checklist for many problems that used to take a special issuance (and delay it until weeks or months later). We pitched it to the FAA several months ago and to their credit have gotten it to the street pretty darned quick. It will not only help the airman getting the CACI but should reduce the backlog for everyone else because there will be fewer for the FAA staff to handle.

Got to go. I'd be glad to answer any other questions either from the airport or when I get to LAL....between vendor stops!

John

I found this online:

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2013/130411faa-publishes-changes-to-special-issuance-medical.html?CMP=News:S1T

This is also good news:

"This program follows another recent change to FAA policy regarding certain cardiac conditions. Just recently, the FAA announced that the recovery and stabilization period after coronary artery stenting was reduced from six months to three months, another positive step toward getting pilots back in the air sooner after successful treatment for serious medical conditions. Those changes are already in effect, and will be published soon in the “Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners.”"

Last edited:
Back