What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sump heater

MarkCFI

Getting ready for pre-heat season here in upstate NY.

I took a look at the sump heater on my O-320 D3G and it looks like a heat coil instead of the typical stick on pad.

Does someone know what manufacturer this might be?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 190
The connector is a standard three prong male power cord connector.

I plugged it in to AC using a standard extension cord and it makes heat.

I assume any type of heat source would run on a standard 110 wall socket.

Does there appear to be any sort of thermostat or other temp regulating device in the system?

As shown in the photo, it almost looks like an element from a stove-----you do not want to cook your oil, just heat it a bit.

Does there appear to be any sort of thermostat or other temp regulating device in the system?

As shown in the photo, it almost looks like an element from a stove-----you do not want to cook your oil, just heat it a bit.

“Does someone know what manufacturer this might be? “

Looks like something from GE, or AO Smith. I agree with a previous poster - make sure you are not trying to cook your oil (pan).

No thermostat that I can see. It looks like it would come off by loosening a few bolts. May just order a stick on and replace.

Thanks

I have seen that style of a pan heater before. It dates back prior to the invention of the silicone heaters. If it works I would use it.

I would use it but only when i could monitor it, like a long pre-flight. You can get a long thermometer and put it in the oil pan through the fill/dipstick neck and just use it to warm the oil. Wouldn't ever leave it on unattended. And do be careful not to overheat the oil. Oil heated beyond its design temp can get thick and stay that way, especially multi viscosity oils.

I appreciate the comments and advice.

Truth be told I was a little hesitant to turn it on unattended. And given the temps we drop to up here over the winter what I did with my old plane was have the Switcheon system turn the heat on 2 -3 hours prior to me getting to the airport.

So here’s what I did. I ordered a new Reif system. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Thanks again for the advice.

Pan heater

Mark,

I think you made the right call. That heating element looks like it could put out a heck of a lot of heat and like others have said it could cook your oil. Even auto engine block heaters don’t look like that, looks more like a heating element from an oven. Don’t think I would use it, your call but why take the risk?

I have been using the EZ-HEAT sump heaters for years (in upstate NY). Simple to install and thermostatically controlled. Even in the dead of winter, if I turn it on before I go to bed, my oil and CHT temps are around 85*F in the morning.

Back