What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid basic rivet sizing question

BruceMe

Well Known Member
For two sheets of dimpled .032... AN426AD3-?

I just need to order a bunch and I'd like to be sure.

Let's do the math, just in case I screw up, others can double check.

AN3 rivet diameter = .09375
1.5x diam. = .140

.032 + .032 + (.09375 x 1.5) = .204

AN3-3 = .1875 - .064 = .1235
AN3-3.5 = .2187 - .064 = .1391 looks like a winner....
AN3-4 = .250 - .064 = .186

I would be tempted to try the -3 and see if the shop head will pass. Often dimpled holes will be slightly oversized. At 1.5d protrusion, you might find some cleating over. The -3, which is slightly less than 1.5d protrusion would be easier to set.

trays-o-rivets

My rivet tray has been through several RV builds :D I've lost track of which are the one's for two sheets of .032 and I can't find them anymore. Time to resupply and sort.

Most of the sheet metal to structure on my -7A is held together with AN3-3.5 per Van's plans. I keep at least a 1/4 lb on hand.

As others have said, order a variety and have them ready when needed. You might find another builder/flyer nearby that will add to the order.

And get one of these

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivetLengthgauge.php?clickkey=9219

1201534.jpg

Like others said, AN rivets are cheap, get a bunch of each size (if you were doing CherryMax, that might be a bad idea...says the guy who just spent ~$40 on 40 cherry rivets).

I personally just use a ruler for those cases - put the rivet in the hole (without squeezing it), and measure how much protrudes out on the other side.
Once you've done this a few times you'll also be able to tell just by looking (but I'm not going to recommend not checking with a proper measurement device :) ).

Back