What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuck Gear Leg in Tower

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Working on test fitting the gear legs into the gear towers of my 9A - The right side gear leg slid right into the tower and reaming the hole was a 30 second task. The left side, not so much. It went in 99% of the way with a little tapping, but stopped 1/16” short. I thought “no big deal, I’ll just take it out and try again.” Wow, was I wrong. That thing is stuck! I’ve tried pounding it out with a big drift pin and hammer, using heat on the tower, penetrating spray, etc. I’m at a loss, aside from just getting a bigger sledge and really going at it (I’ll have to figure out how to hold the tower in place to the bench - kind of an awkward shape to clamp down).

Any solutions from others who have found themselves in the same pickle? And yes, I did clean up the surfaces and lubed them before inserting.

Try twisting/wiggling it back and forth via the axle while pulling, that's how I managed to get the legs in and out of the sockets. NB there is a left and a right gear leg (should be stamped on the end) and matched to the socket, just in case...

Try an equal part mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the tips! Putting a rod into the axle and twisting from there sounds like a great idea that has promise.

I know from experience that when you are putting a hammer head on a new handle you pound on the wood handle and it draws the head up. Not sure if that would work in this situation but I think I had to do that getting the leg in the tower on my 9A.

Be careful if you put a rod in the axel you do not bend it or damage it. It may be worth drilling a hole into a 4x4 about 4' long and running the axel through it. Then twist on it.

Big *** rivet gun

I had the same issue when I test fit one of my gear legs. Ended up using a big rivet gun with a flat set on it.

It is possible that the drilled hole at the top of the gear leg mount (attached to the spar) has a bur on it. This may be what jammed your gear leg. Or the welding distorted the tube. The rivet gun with a flat set sounds like worth trying.

I had the same thing happen. It's pretty hard to grab onto that gear leg and tug without side loading it a bit. I stuck a wooded dowel rod into the end of the axle and twisted it with one hand while while attempting to pull down without pulling sideways and it popped right out.

Success!

It took two people, but I finally got the gear leg to pop out. A combo of heating the weldment and hitting the inboard end with a rivet gun while twisting at the axle. I'm still amazed at how stuck that thing was! The issue was that there was an extra 1/4" of powder coat on the lower end that was getting stuck inside the weldment tube. Once I sanded it back, the leg slid right in. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Back