What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stiff rudder pedal

Straban

My aircraft has been laid up for a couple of years while I've picked away at installing a G3x system. Went out to do a couple of engine runs and noticed that the left rudder pedal is very STIFF. (R/H is free.) Cables run smooth and it was as smooth as butter in the past. The only thing I can think of is that I've been climbing out of the aircraft so many times by pushing on the cross tube that I might have been slightly bent.

I didn't build the aircraft so not familiar with the set up. Would be happy for any suggestions to get me back to smooth.

Dave

RV-8 C-FAMT

Check the bolt and nut that connects the rudder cable strap to the rudder pedal cable. A friend of mine had the exact same complaint. The bolt end was rubbing against the inside panel of the forward baggage compartment and had worn a groove in it. The groove had almost worn through so it was causing a lot of resistance. Flipped the bolt around where the head was towards the outside and it cleared. Since then, I've seen several other RV-8s that were wearing a groove. Something we all should check. It could absolutely jam the rudder at the wrong time.

Last edited:
Update

I tore into the rudder pedals this morning and discovered that the inner and outer tubes were basically rusted together. Some ACF50, a block of wood and a hammer got them apart. I cleaned them up, lubed them and back into the aircraft. Not a fun job in the heat of a hangar, but done.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG-20230813-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230813-WA0000.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 169
I haven’t found a maintenance job on an RV8 more uncomfortable or tiring than working on or just moving the ground adjustable rudder pedals!

6'3" 250 here. I slipped a disc in my neck bulling through a week of work down in the footwell of my RV8 changing the landing gear nuts, installing rear seat pedals, and tidying up wiring. The damage is permanent so I'll never forget that job!

That could be handy for a lot of tasks. Did you open both sides of the fuselage? Any pictures of the inside?

Better, I asked Van about it.
I suggested they make it standard.
He kind of nodded, so that seemed better than a smack on the back of my head.
If you think about it, it is between the longeron and the angle brace to the firewall weldments. Kind of like the space between a bridge truss. One of the few places in the structure that is actually triangulated.
One of Van’s employees is incorporating it into his 8.
However, I make no claim as to the safety of this modification! (and it is not Van's "approved")

Just the left side. The right has the baggage well, so no need. Everything can be reached from the left side. Pedals, brake master cylinders, throttle, mixture, prop cables, fuel pump, cabin heat valve, etc.
Was SO nice during the build, and for maintenance. Just sit on a stool and reach in.

Last edited:
Was SO nice during the build, and for maintenance. Just sit on a stool and reach in.

And odds are it will be maintained if it’s easier to get to!

Even though it appears to be light surface corrosion, seeing that on the interior of an RV would cause me concern about other components that are out of site, out of mind….

Thanks to the OP for posting what he found.

Or you put an access panel in the bottom shelf if you don’t want to take the whole shelf out.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back