What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick length

houndsfour

Sometime ago there was a thread on cutting the control sticks.
I didn't pay to much attention because I was having to much fun just flying.
Now on cross countrys I find that I never really hold the stick at the top and even on landing I hold the grip only because the trim and radio are on it.
Has anyone cut the stick shorter and how much.
Thanks
Rich

All depends on what you want most of the time.

IMHO The standard length sticks are great when doing aerobatics.
(Shorter stick equals heavier stick forces, particularly in roll)

When flying at more aft C.G. positions (more sensitive in pitch) the shorter stick will make it feel even more sensitive.

I prefer to just move my hand to the best position on the stick for that particular moment.

No

Guys,
Van's engineering that makes the RVs fly and feel so good includes stick length and the feedback and leverage factors. I've heard of an RV4 that had a substantial amount cut off the stick and it gets heavy fast. Strongly reconsider cutting it and instead just moving your hand down to where it's comfy. My 6A does great aerobatics with the standard stick and my hand near the top. On cross-countries, just lay your hand on your leg and gently hold the stick lower.

If you ever try to sell the airplane, or demo it, the feel will NOT reflect an RV properly. ;)

sticks

Thanks for the info guys, I think i'm going to leave well enought alone. I'm going to just fly and save all the work of shorting the sticks and all the other stuff that runs down the center of them.
Thanks again
Rich

RV6 Stick Length

Simply got tired of moving hand fm comfortable stick posn (mid) to top when need to key radio. Cut mine by probably 3" to where forearm is level with elbow on side ledge while holding stick. Yes, less mechanical advantage with a shorter stick (lever), but far more ergonomically friendly. If I should need extra stick force, mechanical advantage for some reason, right side stick is still full length. If you cut, a little at a time is better for obvious reasons. Might want to see if a new RV-6 left stick is avail fm Van's before starting?

Link McGarity
RV6/N42GF/FD38
Wellington, FL

wv4i said:
Might want to see if a new RV-6 left stick is avail fm Van's before starting?

Even if the stick was cut shorter than wanted, a grip such as the new Ray Allen, would extend it again, as there is quite a bit of plastic grip extending past the tubing.

When I changed models, I had to chop some more tubing, just to miss the lower panel which is extended 2".

Stick Length

Ditto on what L Adamson posted. When I put new Ray Allen grips on I had to take a couple inches off to keep the grip from hitting my lower panel edge.
No problem doing aerobatics and I personally didn't notice any heavyness.
It still performs and handles like an RV should! :D

sticks

Thanks for all the imput guys. I'm going to continue to fly with the full length sticks until I put the airplane up for her inspection this winter. Than I'm going to shorting the sticks about 2 inches. I will check with Van's for a replacement----just in case.
Happy flying
Rich
N721ET

Adjustable stick?

What about a nested tube inside the main stick, cross drilled at 1" or so with a matching hole in the main unit?? Clevis pin/bolt to hold in place, yet allow change length as desired.

Stick forces are so light that I cant see a strength problem here---inner tube should fint in 3 dia or so as a min.

Mike

Parts are available

Yes the parts are available. They are still selling RV-6 components except for whole empennage kits. No new RV-6 customers now you gotta buy the -7.

Here are the parts from "the list."

F-669-PC RIGHT CONTROL STICK $12.33 (Just a tube really)
WD-611-PC RHT.STICK CNTRL.BASE $59.78
WD-612-PC LEFT CONTROL STICK $62.68

Back