What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steam vs glass

Karee Brinlee

Hey Group,
I really want to get my 7 in the air this next spring. All that is left is to button up firewall forward and panel.
I have about 10k of my glass panel but need to invest another 11k to get it finished.
That will take over a year.
So,
I am considering doing a basic steam gauge panel for now with a BOM as back up.
No auto pilot.
Then fly and certify it.
Once it is certified and I have had some fun and have the rest of the glass panel built, take wings off. Bring home for panel then take it to the shop for paint.
Re assemble it at the hanger and call it good.

Advice is appreciated,.
I could put the rest of the panel on a credit card but I do not like owing money on Credit cards.. ouch.

KB

What is your mission for the aircraft?

If in the USA, what do you mean "certify?" I suspect you mean obtain an airworthiness certificate and fly it.

If your mission is day VFR and don't need ADS-B (and maybe not even a transponder), I imagine you could do what you suggest fairly inexpensively if you shop the used market. If this is your mission, I'm not sure why BOM is needed.

I can't speak for the RV-7 but replacing an RV-4 panel is very simple (the piece of sheet metal). If the -7 is similar, there is likely no significant pro/con there - other than the cost of the sheet and time to fabricate (all the holes, cut-outs, etc.).

If you wire the airplane with the future upgrade in mind, swapping in the new panel may be a relatively simple thing. Admittedly, some dislike wiring/electrical and, for them, none of it is ever 'relatively simple.'

I wouldn't

While steam gauges can be found for low cost or even free in some cases, I wouldn't go that route.
Having built both, a steam gauge panel in an RV-8 and a glass panel in my RV-10, I can tell you that building a steam gauge panel is probably somewhat more complicated than a glass panel.
What I don't understand is your need to spend 20 grand on a glass panel. Granted, people spend thousands more than that but if I was you I would stick to a very basic glass panel with what you already have (what do you already have?) and build it with bare minimums and expansion and upgrades in mind once money becomes available.
I agree that CC debt is not a good way to go and a bit more patience might be needed to get you plane finished.
I am sticking to my story and I hope you are sticking to your glass panel ;)

What Ernst said! Go minimum glass, upgrade later as finances allow.

Also, removing the wings SUCKS big time. Avoid it like the plague.

What Ernst said! Go minimum glass, upgrade later as finances allow.

Also, removing the wings SUCKS big time. Avoid it like the plague.

Remember this

Tomato flames.
Simple
These planes fly great.
iPad and look Out the window.
That’s all you need.

I would not take off wings and move.

Move the panel only.

Where are you in OK.

Have some friends up there.

Boomer

Buying stuff and then going through the pain to install it “temporally” burns both time and money for little return.

I recommend deciding now on your final panel configuration. From that assemble the critical mass to provide Day VFR capability. Build the panel keeping placement to support the final configuration and fly.

Deferring the cost of a TSO GPS navigator is a major tool to keep cost down but still support Phase 1 testing.

Carl

Garmin G5

Garmin G5 mini EFIS provides probably everything you need to get going and is around $1500 versus BOM $1800++.

Dynon calls it "Avionics DYNON PACKAGE 1, Basic Dynon Experimental Package" for $6k out the door including GPS. Go fly. Add on to it later and end up with a full IFR bird if you like, nothing will get ditched along the way. No, I don't work for Dynon or anyone else selling anything but do fly their stuff in my -7.

It sounds like more time than money - not unusual. Just me but, I might entertain designing the panel and systems that I want, then install the wiring, the panel cut with the holes, and install the basic instruments purchased. With additional $$ buy, install and validate each expansion. Pitot static tubing and connectors all installed with plugs waiting for merging with new additions.

Just a thought, a CFII will want an IFR panel.

Just a thought, a CFII will want an IFR panel.

I think this is an assumption only the OP can answer.
(1) Since her bio says she's 'working on' her cfii now but her plane is not yet flying, maybe she has access to another airplane, and (2) since she cannot instruct for hire in her RV, maybe being VFR only (for a while, at least) is okay with her.

I have almost 700 hours. Nearly 500 of those are behind glass. I did my training behind steam. If I was going to fly in imc regularly, I would be more comfortable with a 6 pack. You aren’t limiting yourself with steam. Just get her flying.

Hey Group,

I have about 10k of my glass panel but need to invest another 11k to get it finished.
So,

Advice is appreciated,.

KB

I think to get informed advice you need to clarify what you have already and what you're envisioning in round gauges. Are you talking about just airspeed altimeter and compass? Or a full 6 pack?

Personally I would stay away from any quasi-temporary solution that requires a vacuum pump. Otherwise, my opinion is going to depend on what glass panel components you've already spent $10k on.

Hey Group,
I really want to get my 7 in the air this next spring. All that is left is to button up firewall forward and panel.
So,
No auto pilot.
Then fly and certify it.
Once it is certified and I have had some fun and have the rest of the glass panel built, take wings off. Bring home for panel then take it to the shop for paint.
Re assemble it at the hanger and call it good.

Advice is appreciated,.
I could put the rest of the panel on a credit card but I do not like owing money on Credit cards.. ouch.

KB

Karee,
I have posted on your other threads before. I live in the OKC area (Tuttle). I have built panels for several RVs over the past 5+ years. I am more than happy to discuss with you your panel construction desires and options. You can contact me here via PM or call anytime at (for oh fife ate to too 0 six two won).

Compass, ASI, altimeter, maybe a horizon (just in case) and an iPad. Cheap and will do anything you ever need VFR. D10 EMS for engine info.

You’ll not catch me paying for an autopilot to fly me around!

A DAY VFR Experimental airplane is required to have NO instruments.

The Operating Limitations require that it meet 91.205 for Night and or IFR flight. IF you read 91.205, it says that it is for STANDARD CATEGORY airplanes. It only applies to our experimental airplanes because of the Operating Limitations.

I believe that Burt Rutan had nothing but a connector in the panel (for a display) of one of his airplanes. I had a friend with an RV-9A that used an iPad and iLevil for most of his panel.

Hey Group,

Last I checked (which admittedly was a little bit ago) $10k gets you something like a single-screen package with VFR GPS, comm, transponder, and engine monitor. If you do it right and think/plan ahead you can build with that and have the space left for things like AP servos, second AHARS, second display, IFR GPS, etc. Depending on what brand you go with this might be a viable approach even if prices went up a bit and you need to wait a month or two. Besides, chances are you'll spend longer than you think getting everything finished--back in March I thought I'd be moving to the airport by now but it's looking more like September 2024...

I wouldn't bother putting in steam just to have to rip it all out shortly after.

Great thoughts guys

Hey guys,
Great thoughts on all of this. I really appreciate it.
I already have a AFS 5600 and ACM.
I am looking at all options as I finish Firewall forward. I also need to finish what seems like an unending list of other small things to get it in the air. So the panel can sit for a few months as I decide on other stuff,
Merry Christmas guys and gals.

KB

Back