What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stating with 1 P-Mag and 1 Slick Mag

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm getting ready to do my first engine start. IO-360-M1B with one Slick (impulse ) and 1 P-Mag.

I can't find anything about whether to start with both on or with the Slick off and the P-mag on.

Any one with experience with this set-up?

PS - I don't have a key system, just a toggle switch for each.

Do both.

The impulse coupler on the mag provides the appropriate spark retard and the Pmag (if setup correctly) also has the start retard built into the programming.

I start on the Pmag

Due to the difference in the way each system handles starting I start on just the P-Mag. As soon as the engine starts I turn on the magneto. In my case its a Bendix but that does not really matter.

I have a Bendix on the left and the PMag on the right with an O-360. I turn on the fuel pump for pressure, leave the throttle at idle, mixture at about 1/2. Hit the starter and prime for one to two seconds depending on temperature. I have the Vans solenoid on the gascolator with priming lines to #1 and #2. In a blade or two the engine starts and idles about 700 rpm. Turn on the left magneto and the engine idles at about 850-900. Works everytime

Last edited:
Try not to overthink it. Neither ignition will result in a kickback if setup properly, so the only real requirement is to "...make engine go...". What difference does the name on the side of the unit make? Running two ignitions doubles the chance of a successful first start, and thats the real goal here.

I have the ACS keyed switch. I removed the jumper when I installed the Pmag on the right side. Both the impulse mag and Pmag fire during start. Never an issue when both set up correctly.

One thing to note, never use a battery charger/minder with power applied to the PMag. It will mess up the timing enough to cause starting issues (ie. kickback).

Back