What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static in pilot headset while transmitting

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I've got static coming through the pilot's headset when transmitting in my RV8.

The passenger hears my transmissions crystal clear, as do stations on the ground and other aircraft. Only the pilot gets the crackling while PTT is depressed.

Tried multiple headsets with same results.

Ideas for troubleshooting this?

TIA

just a thought

Check to make sure the antenna fasteners are tight (ensures proper ground plane).
I found the phillips head screws loose, opened the nearest inspection panel so I could hold the nuts while tightening and the transmit issue disappeared.

I've got static coming through the pilot's headset when transmitting in my RV8.

The passenger hears my transmissions crystal clear, as do stations on the ground and other aircraft. Only the pilot gets the crackling while PTT is depressed.

Tried multiple headsets with same results.

Ideas for troubleshooting this?

TIA

Moe, - a year and a half later - what was the cause?

I shut down for fuel today and upon restarting, my transmissions in my headset were suddenly scratchy and full of static. I asked for a couple of radio checks and was told I was loud and clear.

I haven't begun to do any trouble shooting yet. I was using a Zulu 3 with a Lemo plug. It worked fine earlier in the day.

It was the head unit.

SL40 died shortly after I posted this. I sent it out for a rebuild and it's all good now.

In my case had static sometimes at the push of the PTT for 1 or 2 times
then it was gone for duration of flight copilot and radio check didnt report any static
I had compatible audiopanel to try and yes GMA340 had issue ( i didnt have yet time to check what failed in it )

Back