What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Relay Recommendations

cfiidon

Well Known Member
I need to replace my starter relay. Does anyone have a recommendation for a robust relay!?

Some time ago I noticed that during a start, my starter relay seemed to stick ON. It cleared up and I had no reoccurrence. Nonetheless, I changed it out with a spare I had. Today during a hot start, it worked once, and then wouldn't re-engage. I towed my -8 back to the hangar and began to troubleshoot.

When I turned the master on, the starter was engaged. I pulled the starter circuit breaker and it stayed engaged, which told me it was "welded" on. I confirmed this with an ohmmeter.

Now I want to replace it, but I want a recommendation for a "better" relay than the $10 ACS version.

Oh... Upon replacement I will check the diode. I understand how that can cause problems. Might be my issue.
( update: diode checks out and is installed correctly)
Don

Last edited:
I have been running this one for the past 12 years and 700 hours without issue:

http://www.bandc.biz/bandcstartercontactor12v.aspx

A single data point is not worth much, but everything I have ever purchased from B&C just keeps working. Several times I "blamed" their stuff for not working, and found their technical support outstanding. Ultimately, I determined the issues were unrelated to B&C hardware.

When my (Skytec) starter started to go intermittent, I initially blamed the B&C contactor and researched a number of solid state, high current, intermittent units. These devices looked interesting, but before I bought one, I determined my starter was dying and replaced it rather than the contactor.

Good luck,

I stopped at the Skytec booth at OSH and they were pushing a new solenoid with silver contacts. Silver has a much higher temperature (and amps) than the copper. It was $75 though (ouch!).

Just so you know . . . not a recommendation.

I also saw the solenoid at the Skytec booth. I want. It is not released yet though. I am on my second solenoid from Van's and this one is starting to "click". the $75 would be a wash if it held up for more than 500 hours.

B&C

I'll second B&C. I'm using both their Master & Starter contactors. Five years and almost 600 hours of trouble free service.

A weak battery can cause starter contacts to weld together.
Not saying that is the problem in this case, but the battery should be in good condition and charged up.
Joe Gores

Theory???

Two of my average quality starter relays exhibited strange failure modes. Sometimes they wouldn't engage, and sometimes they were "stuck" closed with no power to them.

My limited brain cells have developed a theory, hard to test now as I've removed the offender starter relay in anticipation of a B&C...

I'm thinking I had a poor ground to the relay case. Poor ground means reduced current flow and pulling force. This would cause the relay to sometimes not engage at all, and when it did engage, probably arc and weld as the closing speed was slowed.

It's a theory only, but when I install the next one it will be with an eye towards checking ground.

Don

Back