What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Pitot Tube Source

JonJay

Well Known Member
Plans call for a simple aluminum 1/4” tube for the pitot. Mine, of the same design, is stainless, but can’t remember where I got it?
The AN 819 sleeve has corroded.

Anybody know where to source a stainless pitot ready made? If not, I’ll make one.

JonJay,
I assume you’re talking about this guy? It’s what I have on my RV6. Somehow I have an extra one. If this is what you need, let me know.

Attachments

• B4BB765F-E3CC-4B60-B7D4-ACBD6CB4A4E5.jpeg
    B4BB765F-E3CC-4B60-B7D4-ACBD6CB4A4E5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
JonJay - PM me an email address and we can swap some info. It’s yours for the cost of shipping. I’ll let you know what that is after I ship it, and after you’ve received it.
Thank you!
Paying it forward…..
I pm’d you here.

I have the stainless tube on my1999 RV-6. I wouldn't be surprised if it came from Van's, Avery, or Cleaveland back in the day. I'm thinking Van's offered it as an upgrade.

Another source is Aircraft Spruce for the stainless tube that is available by the foot and can be bent and flared using the same tools as for the aluminum tube. They also have the AN818 and AN819 nut and collar in stainless to complement the tube.

Van's used to offer a stainless pitot tube "upgrade" (VENT P-100). No longer in the catalog, so I made one from Spruce sourced tubing IIRC.

Im kind of at the stage where if I can find one, rather than build it, I’m in.
If I can’t find it, it’s ridiculously priced , or takes too long to acquire, I’ll build.
I would probably build, per plans, using aluminum. The corrosion of the sleeve may have been due to dissimilar metals, perhaps not, but i see nothing wrong with the aluminum pitot.
Curious: what are new models using?

I bought a P-100 stainless pitot and the P-110 red vinyl cover. in the end didn't use it. If someone needs it feel free to PM me. Been meaning to gather some left-overs for a classified ad.

Back