What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spot Tracker failure?

Greg Reese

Hi,
Lont time happy customer of the SPOT till recently. My Gen 3 battery terminal broke, got Gen 4. Never has worked right, wouldn't track. Spoke with Tech help (which all must be off shore now) and learn Apple app no longer works or is even available on App store. Company has no idea when an App will be back. Any info out there? Think 'Ill drop the service and not recommend.

We were very early adopters of SPOT, and have had several devices over the years. Two years ago I traded our 3 for a 4 at Airventure (free upgrade) and have never really been happy that the 4 is larger and seems to eat batteries faster. To be completely honest, with the advent of ADS-B and FlightAware tracking, I think that for aviation use, the SPOT system has been obsoleted. We do keep a subscription active because we use it on the ground in very remote country, beyond cell phone tracking….if it wasn’t for that, I’d probably dump it for domestic flight use.

While not exactly a "drop-in replacement", would a Garmin InReach mini be of any use? You can set these up to provide a breadcrump trail and they have the same PLB benefits with the added bonus of being able to send text messages. As they're portable you could attach it to your person and walk away with it in the even of an emergency.

I don't know how they compare in terms of running costs though. But just a thought.

Garmin inReach Explorer+ user report

I have been using Garmin inReach Explorer+ for over a year, and very happy with it. The internal rechargeable battery will last for 3 days/72 hours of continuous use, dropping a data location to the Internet every 10 minutes, for a $25 monthly fee, and that plan includes broadcasting an unlimited number of 10 minute data locations.

The internal battery also recharges very quickly, by microUSB connection or USB TypeA connector from optional bracket.

We also often use the tracker in our car, with the Garmin optional bracket suction-cupped to a small rear window with limited sky view, and the GPS position stays locked and locations are consistently shared to the satellites in orbit. I use it often with rental cars in cities around the US, and it worked fine in Alaska and Hawaii.

It seems FlightAware and ADSB are getting more consistent with showing complete tracking of a flight, but sometimes portions of a flight have disappeared in FlightAware as Flight Following was initiated or terminated.

And a family member uses it for hiking, and it works great.

Carl

While not exactly a "drop-in replacement", would a Garmin InReach mini be of any use? You can set these up to provide a breadcrump trail and they have the same PLB benefits with the added bonus of being able to send text messages. As they're portable you could attach it to your person and walk away with it in the even of an emergency.

I don't know how they compare in terms of running costs though. But just a thought.

This is what I have as well. I found the spot was pretty useless tbh. Ordinary user interface. Nil support. Well and truly superseded now.

This is a fast moving space atm. Starlink has partnered with Vodafone NZ and T-Mobile to provide terrestrial satellite mobile phone coverage over all of NZ.
I expect within a few years all cellphones will have satcom capabilities (iPhone14 already limited) and even the Garmin satcom stuff will be obsolete.

To be completely honest, with the advent of ADS-B and FlightAware tracking, I think that for aviation use, the SPOT system has been obsoleted. We do keep a subscription active because we use it on the ground in very remote country, beyond cell phone tracking….if it wasn’t for that, I’d probably dump it for domestic flight use.

^^^This. I use my inReach to send texts when too high for cell coverage, but I no longer buy the high-end subscription. I do think it would be better than a PLB in an emergency, because of the 2-way texting. That, of course, requires that both the inReach (or SPOT) and the phone survive an off-airport landing, that the batteries of both work, etc., etc. . . When the cell phones start seamlessly converting to sat phones, if only for texting and SOS, that'll be the end for most SPOT and inReach users.

I haven't had to use it, but my iPhone 14 provides direct satellite text access to EMS if no cellular connection is available, including automating that feature in the event of a crash as well as texting your GPS location to EMS or anyone else you specify. The service is currently free for two years when you buy the phone.

Thanks

Thanks for the information everyone. On top of everything else on Gen 4, they're telling me it can't be near any other GPS device. My Gen 3 worked flawlessly one inch from my G3X antenna for years. I will now cancel.

Let us know what you go to?

I'm still using a gen 1, app still seems to work on my iphone 13. But I haven't flown out of the valley for a couple weeks. Have noticed it misses dropping points more often than it used to. Had considered upgrading, will look into other options.

What it does does not provide that a Garmin InReach does is non emergency comm and tracking, use during rain when fingers barely work on a touch screen, crash survivable (if you have one you know it would take a lot to damage it), on time is far superior to the iPhone, if you only turn it on and off for sending messages and updating your navigation course when hiking it will last for weeks on one charge.

I haven't had to use it, but my iPhone 14 provides direct satellite text access to EMS if no cellular connection is available, including automating that feature in the event of a crash as well as texting your GPS location to EMS or anyone else you specify. The service is currently free for two years when you buy the phone.

Back