What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spot priming countersunk holes on main spar

CaptPausert

In the instructions for the wing assembly, it says to prime the countersunk holes on the wing spar where the anodizing is removed but this instruction is after you attach the plate nuts as you need to rivet on the plate nuts as a guide. Are we supposed to prime the countersunk holes where the rivets go or just the ones for the screws? I was going to call Vans builder support and ask but got busy with work.

I have also always done both.

I spray a little self etching rattle can primer into a cup and then use a cotton swab to apply the primer.

I did the “spray the primer into a cup and use a little acid brush” technique. I also taped up the laminations to prevent chips from getting stuck in there.. little tip I picked up from Karetaker on YouTube.

Just a heads up... by the time you get to the wings, Van's instructions (at least for the older models) assume you've learned the basics on the empennage and then apply them to all of the following subkits without them having to spell out all the individual steps. You'll pretty much have to use what you've already learned plus common sense to carry you the rest of the way through the build. Rest easy though, that's what will make you feel more like a craftsman and less like simply an assembler.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thought about the alodine pen but they are charging
$160 for those now. I think I will just pour some of my existing primer in a cup and use a cotton swab to apply.

Back