What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speaking of Trim Choices...

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Those of us that use manual elevator trim; how do you know where the trim is set? How do know where "take off trim" is, in relation to the turns of the knob? Is it just a matter of counting the turns?

Trim

Fly, feel, adjust. Usually less than +/- 1.5 turn during all phases of flight.

I know what my typical landing trim looks like and easy to validate during preflight. Take off, lifting the nose is easy with landing trim. On climb as I accelerate, I need some nose down trim. Same for setting cruise. Nose up on landing.

No gauge, just feel.

Doing my Pre-takeoff checkilst, I would look over my left shoulder, apply full up elevator, then turn the trim knob until the trim tab was even with the elevator.
It was all by feel during cruise and landing.

In neutral trim, I drew a line with a marker around the rod where it enters the device base. When that line is at the even with the base and the label "TRIM" is horizontal, I know that trim is neutral/takeoff. The knob only rotates in or out, I can't push or pull it out to change trim position.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 66
All good advice. Since I have difficulty looking over my shoulder, I make sure the trim tab is faired with the elevator on pre-flight inspection. If not, then I reach into the cockpit from the ground and reset it. (Taildragger)

Even if you forget, and leave the trim as set for landing, it is easily overpowered on takeoff, and you can re-trim airborne.

Don't ask me how I know. :eek:

I just feel for the size of gap between the base of the knob and the mounting nut.
At neutral the gap is about 3/4”

Back