What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for Reamers?

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
After reading a lot and researching, I have decided to get a few reamer sizes primarily for bolt holes. I understand I will need larger reamers for the wing spar but I'm a ways from that in the build cycle.

The problem I have is finding a source for reamers in the sizes I would like. Looked at all the usual suspects (Avery, Cleveland, ATS, Brown, Spruce,..) and while they carry the common sizes I didn't find the undersize reamers offered.

I'm considering purchasing the following sizes:
3/16 size: 0.1870", 0.1875", #12 (couldn't find the 0.1870 size)

1/4 size: 0.2495", 0.2497", 1/4 (couldn't find the 0.2495 & 97")

I would prefer to make one order instead of buying one here and one there.

Suggestions?

I would suggest you try some of the VAF advertisers first. I've got stuff from most of them and have been very happy with price/service!

Reamers

MSC has perhaps the largest selection of reamers. High speed steel, straight flute reamers are recommended for most applications.
AN bolts are ALWAYS under the fractional size. For AN6 I have three different size reamers starting at .3725. Some structural applications should be a very tight fit, some shold be an interference fit. I believe the main spar bolts on RV are interference fit??
I also buy extra bolts and sort them by diameter for critical applications. The landing gear bolts for the round gear should be an interference fit. If the gear is properly reamed and the proper size bolts are used they will never loosen up.

Thanks all. MSC and Enco both have LARGE selections and will probably go with Enco.

I did go and measure the AN3 & AN4 bolts I have today and yes, they were all under.

Again, thanks for the help and I have bookmarked all of the supplies.

Back