What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

so many dimple dies

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
i have the recommended dimple dies from cleveland. asking questions about dimple dies i now find out there are fuel tank dimple dies and even substructure dimple dies. they set the dimple deeper for a layer of pro-seal and to accommodate layers of sheet metal. what are other builders using? are the extra dies [or only one or the other] helpful for building.
thanks
bob noffs

Nothing special needed.

hi all,
i have the recommended dimple dies from cleveland. asking questions about dimple dies i now find out there are fuel tank dimple dies and even substructure dimple dies. they set the dimple deeper for a layer of pro-seal and to accommodate layers of sheet metal. what are other builders using? are the extra dies [or only one or the other] helpful for building.
thanks
bob noffs

I don't believe any dimpling is done for rivets on the fuel tanks, and hence no specialized dimple dies needed there. Maybe its an issue on other RV designs, where flush/countersunk solid rivets are used on the wing-based tanks. The RV-12 tank just squishes two flat pieces of metal together with pulled rivets that have sealed ends.

You should not need the tank dies but you will need dies for a #6 screws which my set from Cleaveland didn't include.

Back