What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smaller Wing Tips for Speed

Yes, but Oh My God wouldn't you like to have a wind tunnel

Wind tunnels seem to be fading from favor maybe just a bad observation on my part. I think they still have one or two at Ames and probably at least one at Langley. When I worked in St. Louis, MAC had three I believe including a hypersonic unit back in building 103. JPL disassembled theirs years ago. There is just something about making small changes and getting good reliable performance data that appeals to me. Virtual wind tunnels are probably fine but I crave the real deal.

Bob Axsom

Wind tunnels seem to be fading from favor maybe just a bad observation on my part. I think they still have one or two at Ames and probably at least one at Langley. When I worked in St. Louis, MAC had three I believe including a hypersonic unit back in building 103. JPL disassembled theirs years ago. There is just something about making small changes and getting good reliable performance data that appeals to me. Virtual wind tunnels are probably fine but I crave the real deal.

Bob Axsom

I wonder if computer modeling has become so reliable that a giant wind tunnel isn't needed or cost effective anymore.

I'm sure the software providers would say so

I'm sure the software providers would say so but that says there is nothing more to be learned. I really don't believe that.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom
I think tunnels are closing due to lack of new programs not due to CFD. They are very expensive to keep if not being utilized.
I wonder if computer modeling has become so reliable that a giant wind tunnel isn't needed or cost effective anymore.
Tunnel data is used to calibrate CFD. Many intermediate points are filled in with CFD but CFD by itself is not good enough (opinion shared by most in company as well as the government) to not have WT data. Low speed and high lift still need WT testing.

Hey Snowflake they tried to deliver the molds today

Copied below from USPS tracking site. I'm anxious to see how they work for you. I noticed they went to Miami from Farmington Arkansas before going to BC, Canada.

Bob Axsom

STATUS OF YOUR ITEM
DATE & TIME
CW226349496US
Priority Mail International Parcels
Addressee not available - Addressee advised to pick up the item
February 01, 2012, 11:38 am
CANADA
International Parcels
Arrival at Post Office
February 01, 2012, 9:30 am
CANADA
Customs clearance processing complete
February 01, 2012, 6:18 am
CANADA
Customs Clearance
January 31, 2012, 6:28 pm
CANADA
Processed Through Sort Facility
January 31, 2012, 6:28 pm
CANADA
Processed Through Sort Facility
January 29, 2012, 1:06 pm
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility
January 29, 2012, 1:05 pm
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Yep, received the missed delivery notice when I got home. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to go get them! The suspense is killing me! :)

Back