What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small fiberglass repair

Tip repair

Hi All - As a non-builder, is there a straightforward, simple way to patch/fix and do paint touch-up on this wingtip edge? See pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TuqWR3X4JAeLHM9t8 Thanks for any suggestions.

First thing I would do is fill the corner from inside with some thin flox. Cure. Apply some epoxy to fill the weave. Cure. Apply micro filler. Sand and paint.

Trick I use for things like this is to take two pieces of heavy packing tape. One big enough to cover the area. One a couple inches longer. Stick them together carefully leaving sticky area on either end of the shorter piece. You want a nice smooth piece of tape with no wrinkles. Apply the micro. Apply the tape using the sticky ends to hold it tightly in place. Cure. Peel the tape. It won't be perfect, but it won't require as much sanding.

I would sand it, apply some flox that’s about peanut butter consistency, then after cure, wrap a 2x4 with 80 grit and shape it to match. Easy.

Wing tip repair...

I would sand it, apply some flox that’s about peanut butter consistency, then after cure, wrap a 2x4 with 80 grit and shape it to match. Easy.

I agree with this type of repair for your area of damage. This should be relatively easy. The most difficult part will be trying to match the paint!:p

I had very similar injury to my wingtip (hangar rash). I'm no expert so sought advice here. I filled it with flox and micro ballloons as Wirejock suggested above, then ultimately painted it (not shown). My plane's paint is a standard automotive color so it was easy to get a custom-made rattle can of that color and some clear coat (TouchUp Direct). Turned out perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 1.18.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 1.18.41 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Skip the paint

Save the painting time for when you repaint the whole plane. Cover blemishes with a small bit of Vinyl car wrap and move on.

Bondo!

For a non-structural repair I often turned to Bondo. Aviation purist abhor the use of automotive repair products for some reason, but Bondo is a light weight epoxy based filler that retains just enough flexibility to withstand the vibration that most aircraft structures are subject to. It's easy to use, adheres mightily, sands beautifully and provides a smooth surface ready for primer. And you can get it at reasonable cost from your neighborhood auto supply store.

When asked what you used for the beautiful repair, lie! Tell the purists you used epoxy thickened with floss or some such concoction to avoid the inevitable shaming that the truth would bring. And for heaven's sake do not tell them that I was the one who told you about Bondo. I have grown to enjoy the peace that comes with old age.

You're welcome.

Bondo isn’t light compared to epoxy and micro.. bondo is heavy!! If you have the right supplies, you wouldn’t even think of using bondo! Personally, I would use flox for wingtips and other corners that may get bumped again. Flox is so hard, it won’t chip next time. Micro is easy to sand, but easier to damage the next time it hits something. Bondo shrinks, is weak, and isn’t the correct fix.. but it would work in a pinch I guess..but so will vicegrips when you really need a wrench.

Bondo....curse word......

Bondo isn’t light compared to epoxy and micro.. bondo is heavy!!

That is the main reason Bondo is looked down upon: the weight. I used it on my old VW Squareback (VERY cool car; had a Sunroof!) to fill in where the rust was starting to cause largish holes to appear. It lasted for YEARS without signs of shrinking, loosening, other problems. I would still have that car if I hadn't been broadsided in an intersection.:eek::eek: Saved my life...! If Bondo was not a decent product (been around since 1955), it would have been off the market years ago and 3M would probably not have picked up the brand! ;):cool:

Yes, it is polyester. The weight difference for this very small repair is going to probably range in the order of picograms. If you have the flox and epoxy, use that. If you want a quick repair that might outlast the airplane, Bondo is probably going to be fine. IMHO...YMMV....

..but so will vicegrips when you really need a wrench.

HEY! Were you watching me work on my airplane yesterday......?:D:D:p:p;);)

:)

This is the content I am here for!!! :D

For a non-structural repair I often turned to Bondo. Aviation purist abhor the use of automotive repair products for some reason, but Bondo is a light weight epoxy based filler that retains just enough flexibility to withstand the vibration that most aircraft structures are subject to. It's easy to use, adheres mightily, sands beautifully and provides a smooth surface ready for primer. And you can get it at reasonable cost from your neighborhood auto supply store.

When asked what you used for the beautiful repair, lie! Tell the purists you used epoxy thickened with floss or some such concoction to avoid the inevitable shaming that the truth would bring. And for heaven's sake do not tell them that I was the one who told you about Bondo. I have grown to enjoy the peace that comes with old age.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

For my little wingtip ding, (and the OP's), Bondo would have worked just fine...it's good stuff, for this kind of repair especially. But from a recent extensive wheel pants refurbishment project, I already had enough flox and micro balloons to last the rest of my life. If I didn't have that stuff already sitting around, a $5 tube of Bondo would certainly have been my choice for this tablespoon-sized defect.

Super-fil is an excellent alternative to Bondo. It’s super lightweight, epoxy based, and takes the guess work out of mixing a slurry of micro and resin, not that it is hard to do by any means.
The only downside is it is really expensive, but a little goes a long way.
Available from Aircraft Spruce.
Just another option.

SuperFil

Super-fil is an excellent alternative to Bondo. It’s super lightweight, epoxy based, and takes the guess work out of mixing a slurry of micro and resin, not that it is hard to do by any means.
The only downside is it is really expensive, but a little goes a long way.
Available from Aircraft Spruce.
Just another option.

The other problem with SuperFil is it has an expiration date and tends to "go bad" if not used by then or sometime soon after. I have used it before and like it, but also have several (expensive) container sets (comes with two components) that are no longer usable. :( Stated shelf life is "two years unopened" I have Bondo that has been sitting around for years and still works well. I should probably stir up some of the "old" SuperFil and see if it still works on something I don't care about.....;)

Correction

I stand corrected: Bondo is not an epoxy based product as others have pointed out. It is a polyester. To those who claim Bondo is too heavy, perhaps you are not familiar with Bondo Lightweight. I don't know how many libre per cubic cubit but it is considerably lighter than what you may remember. As for shrinkage, I have never detected any such thing. It's a 3M product and they claim it has very low shrinkage, I'm guessing somewhere on the order of one micro-unglie per furlong.

I did point out that I would not use it for a STRUCTURAL repair. The ding that started this post looks like a prime candidate for Bondo IMHO.

PS: You may have deduced that I do not claim to be an aeronautical engineer. I only speak from decades of practical experience and only recommend products and procedures that work for me. Your experience may differ. (And that's OK!)

Epoxy and West 410

I really like West Epoxy mixed with West 410 thickener. Very flexible and strong yet sands easily. Just mix some up, dab it in the booboo, let cure then sand to final shape. Really a VERY easy fix. Get some Testors model paint touch-up and you're good to go.

Back