What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-00072: RV-12iS Ignition Module Firmware Update

rcarsey

Well Known Member
Van's quietly released this Service Letter for the 12iS recently.

It's basically having you replace a PC Board on the Ignition Module for $20. This fixes the problem that some people have been having where the computer shuts off "Start Power" after a minute of Master On, but before the engine is started. This often happens after you've upgraded to the latest HIC module AND when you are taking your sweet time between Master ON and turning the ignition key.

The work around has either been to cycle the Master (restart the timer), or turn on the EMS Emergency (big red switch) and cycle the Lanes (bypassing the timer). It's not a safety thing, just a nuisance.

SL-00072
Part needed
Note: Hot Glue is also needed.

Thanks Rob - This happens to me about 25% of the time, after waiting for the Dynon to fully boot! It will be $20 well spent!!

Aghhh! It drives me nuts when Clough42 insists on always saying "PC Board" instead of just "PCB" on his YouTube channel. :p

Thanks for the heads up though Rob, we had been wondering about this behavior! Now to decide if it's worth the trouble.

I wonder what the reason for the timer was in the first place. Perhaps safety or battery draw while working with the avionics? (EDIT: I learned from Rob's nice video below that there is no timer - you'll have to watch it for the details)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Rob. While not a huge deal, I do find it a bit annoying when it happens, thus I just placed the order for the replacement part.

Thanks for the info Rob. I am going to contact Van's about being notified of new service bulletins and letters. I thought I signed up for that when I started my 12iS project. However, to date. I have not received any notifications directly from them.

We did experience this timeout problem. Fortunately the fix was simple with good instructions. The hot glue peels off easily to remove the old microcontroller.:)

Last edited:
Keeping up with the updates

Wow.

Just finished doing an annual conduction inspection on 78 hours of hobbs. WOW
Doing the Current SB's and other updates was a scream. The last was the micro chip for now. Did not have time out issues with fuel pumps but staying current really matters!

Back