What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Without Dynon's GPS

jaredyates

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Has anyone successfully run a Skyview system without one of Dynon's two serial GPS units?
I have an installation that already has a Garmin GTX335, which has its own waas GPS with serial output. I have connected them up and the Skyview rx count is going up, so it is getting something serial from the GPS, but I haven't been able to match up two compatible protocols. There are several choices on each device and I'm hopeful that there is a common protocol between the two.

Did you resolve your issue?

I am looking to do similar with the GRT EFIS. Can’t find any information on output (NMEA) format from on GTX335 transponder.

Thanks,

I believe the closest you will get is to set the GTX serial port to output MAPMX format, and then configure the Dynon RX serial port to use MAPMX, 9600 baud. Not sure this will work, but I think MapMX is the most likely to work.

You can also read thru https://www.dynonavionics.com/inclu...nection_and_Configuration_Reference-Rev_B.pdf for other ideas, but it looks like those are more for feeding the GTX altitude info from the SV, and the traffic data (not necessarily GPS) from the GTX to the SV.

I am looking to do similar with the GRT EFIS. Can’t find any information on output (NMEA) format from on GTX335 transponder.

I don't think the GTX's will output NMEA (at least none of the formats in Table 6-1 in the GTX install manual state NMEA), your closest thing is going to be MapMX, and you don't say which GRT EFIS you have, but it may not support MapMX input (I can't find any reference to MapMX in any install manuals, only NMEA).

I have never tried this, but the GTX335 is a transponder that just happens to have its own position source. It is not a navigator. And Garmin would be stupid if they casually sprayed out nav data to other devices in lieu of one of the GPS navigators they sell. So I doubt you can extract anything.

Buy an SV-GPS 2020 or even the 250 and configure it as per the manual. Problem solved.

It is a bit late now, but why wouldn't you have gone the SV transponder and GPS from the start?

It is a bit late now, but why wouldn't you have gone the SV transponder and GPS from the start?

+1. The Trig TT22 (which is basically the Dyson transponder can "read" the Garmin 'ADSB+' format, so it would have been an easy hook up of ADSB-out.
I have a GRT Hx and it also reads the Garmin 420W basic position data format, so it drives the EFIS maps. And a SkyRadar D2 provides dual frequency ADSB-in via a USB connection.

Did you resolve your issue?

Thanks,

No resolution in terms of getting the Dynon to accept the position output like the ELT does. I installed a gps250 and that was the resolution.

Back