What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytech NL Solenoid Part #

lr172

Well Known Member
I have been having intermittent no start conditions. Replaced the primary starter solenoid a month ago but still having issues. Beginning to think it is the solenoid in the NL starter. Going to do some more testing now, but hoping to get a jump on this. Does anyone know a valid replacement part number for that solenoid. Pretty sure this is a different part than the more common LS solenoid that fails often.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

I think it's unobtanium...Google can't even find a parts explosion of the NL series.

OTOH, you can probably disassemble the whole thing and clean up the contacts...

B

Larry,

I think it's unobtanium...Google can't even find a parts explosion of the NL series.

OTOH, you can probably disassemble the whole thing and clean up the contacts...

B

Yeah, absolutely NOTHING via search. It is coming apart this morning and will make whatever parts are necessary. Have a buddy with a friend that owns a starter/alternator rebuild shop. If it is a COTS part, he should be able to tell me which one it is.

I don't think it is the contacts. Testing yesterday had a wierd issue. Me with meter on the lugs, son hits starter button and nothing happens but holds it. 5 seconds later, the plunger finally moves and it spins. Something is hanging up the plunger. Will report results later today. Battery is a bit old, but put a 100A carbon pile on it and still got 10 volts at the starter lead, so pretty sure it is not power delivery.

Found one. Took it apart and could quickly see it uses Denso parts. Called the local starter shop and they said Denso has 6 different solenoids they use so I brought it in and he matched it up. All good now. It looks very close to what I have seen in toyota starters, but can't be sure if it is the same size. Part he gave me came out of a bin with no packaging or #, so can't provide it.

My issue wasn't the contacts, though I did replace them while in there. The hold winding was working, but the pull winding was not (believe that a piece of insulation failed, thereby reducing the total winding length). With Denso, all of these parts are sold and replaced individually; A clever design.

Larry

Last edited:
Did you take any pics while it was apart?

No, not really the self-documenting type. Go on the web and find pics of the inside of the solenoid body on a toyota starter. It looks just like that when you separate the motor from the main body. In fact, from the inside, the NL main body looks JUST LIKE the Toyota guts. Skytec just copied the design and used COTS Denso parts. Only difference is the motor on the back with a geared shaft instead of the toyota solenoid on top of motor design with direct mesh gears.

The job is pretty easy, but you need to be careful with the bare copper and there is soldering involved. I re-wired the solenoid to feed from the small post instead of the B lead, so that down the road I can wire the start circuit directly to the starter instead of the extra solenoid. Be careful here as I am pretty sure this solenoid draws a good bit more current than the traditional ford solenoid. THe Skytec coil is a special one with double taps to support both 12 and 24 V. I just used a 12V solenoid without the extra tap as have no plans to convert to 24V. That would be a much tougher part to find.

Last edited:
Back