What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt Cowl Fastners - finish or not?

Hi everyone - I am installing the Skybolt fasteners on the cowl on my RV7-A. It's going well and I am pleased with the decision. I do have one question: Do people alodine, anodize, paint, or leave the aluminum tabs bare? Eager to get best practices (and opinions) from the forum. With thanks - Adam

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 59
  • 73567206273__15CCD7D4-5AAE-440B-9883-A4C39E8767E1.jpeg
    73567206273__15CCD7D4-5AAE-440B-9883-A4C39E8767E1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59
I just left them bare. I figured any paint would be worn off from the fiberglass, and alodine seemed liked overkill. The painters did extend the paint a fraction of an inch onto the tabs so that no bare metal would be visible with the cowling in place, and that has generally not worn or chipped off, except for maybe 1 or 2 small spots that I have had to touch up.

Some of mine are painted because I was too lazy to take them out when I painted a stripe on the cowl. Not the best option. I have gone 300 hours without having the fastener clips on so I remove them each time I take the cowl off. I used O rings at first to fit everything and found it is harder to get the cowl on or off with the fasteners still on the cowl. Last month I put the ring on the firewall top cowl and it has been ok. The top and bottom joint is still loose and I like that.
Next time I will make sure the fasteners are out for paint and leave them all as they came.

I just left them bare. I figured any paint would be worn off from the fiberglass, and alodine seemed liked overkill. The painters did extend the paint a fraction of an inch onto the tabs so that no bare metal would be visible with the cowling in place, and that has generally not worn or chipped off, except for maybe 1 or 2 small spots that I have had to touch up.
Same here.

Some of mine are painted because I was too lazy to take them out when I painted a stripe on the cowl. Not the best option. I have gone 300 hours without having the fastener clips on so I remove them each time I take the cowl off. I used O rings at first to fit everything and found it is harder to get the cowl on or off with the fasteners still on the cowl. Last month I put the ring on the firewall top cowl and it has been ok. The top and bottom joint is still loose and I like that.
Next time I will make sure the fasteners are out for paint and leave them all as they came.
I think he was talking about the receptacle tabs, not the fastener inserts.

Back