What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size of iPad?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am currently using an iPad Mini 2 but have a chance to get a decent deal on a 10.2" iPad 7.

Two questions:
1) For those who have used both the mini and full size iPads, which do you prefer? Is the 10" too big?

2) I am using Wing X Pro for EFB, will this app run better on the newer iPad (no problems currently with the mini and Wing X).

Thanks in advanced.

size of iPad

The only opinion that really matters on "too big/too small" is yours. So here's what I suggest:

1. Look up the physical size of the iPads you are considering (they are somewhere on Apples website).

2. make a cardboard mock up of the iPads (overall size, and screen area).

3. Sit in your plane, with the mock ups in various locations (wherever you are considering mounting them. Notice how how easy/hard it is to reach/operate. Also notice what it may block from view, or if it interferes with controls/switches, etc.

4. Pick the best fit for you and your panel setup.

Did exactly this with my -6A and ended up with an iPad mini and a RAM mount to the pilot sidewall. Turned out the standard iPad would have been too big for my use in that location (in my opinion). Reading/operating it work fine for me. YMMV

Have fun.

Last edited:
I am currently using an iPad Mini 2 but have a chance to get a decent deal on a 10.2" iPad 7.

Two questions:
1) For those who have used both the mini and full size iPads, which do you prefer? Is the 10" too big?

2) I am using Wing X Pro for EFB, will this app run better on the newer iPad (no problems currently with the mini and Wing X).

Thanks in advanced.

I use an 11-inch iPad Pro to run Foreflight, on a RAM suction mount on the right side of my panel. I definitely wouldn/t want anything smaller for that purpose. I do have an iPad Mini 6 that I keep loose in the cockpit that I use to run the IFD100 app for my Avidyne navigator. It's perfect for that but too small for me to like using for navigation

I had an iPad Air2 in my 6A and loved it. If you have dual screen than it’s too big
Does anyone know how to flip/rotate a pic?
View attachment 41010

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
I did exactly what Stevea suggests ......... and found the Mini is what is best for my use. I have it on the left side of the panel, magnetic mount on the gusset for the windscreen mount (slider canopy). I've only flown with it twice, but so far, so good.

If I wanted the iPad on the right side of the panel (somehow), I probably would have opted for a larger screen. But the right side just doesn't work for me due to other panel-mounted items that it would block.

FWIW, the Mini probably works for me because it is much closer to my eyes being on the left side of the plane. In flight today, it was a bit gusty and very bumpy, so hitting the Foreflight buttons was a bit of a challenge at times.

As they say, YMMV. And probably will.

Have a larger , had a mini. Wish I still had the mini (RV4)

I have a mini for my RV-4, but I rarely use it. Instead, I usually just use my iPhone + ForeFlight + Sentry Plus, paired via Bluetooth to my Zulu 3's. Gives me everything that I need without taking up a lot of space.

I have an RV-10. I have 2-AF-6600s, 1-AF-5500, and a Garmin G5. All three EFIS can display anything I would typically use an iPad.

I started out with an iPad mini. About five years ago, I upgraded to an iPad Pro 11. Yesterday I upgraded to an iPad Pro 12.9.

My ipad usually just sits on a seat during flight, unless a back seat passenger wants to use it. It can display air data, traffic, and wx, from the EFIS, plus I have several Efb apps on it. My iPad is basically a backup to the panel that almost never gets used in flight. I do use it on the ground to plan and file flight plans.

I fall into the old fart category that needs bi-focals. The bigger the better. But since I rarely use it in flight size doesn’t matter.

If you have a China hat on the stick, make sure you have some speed control on your trim servos. Somebody will invariably set the iPad on the stick. That could caused some excitement if your trims move fast while at cruise speed.

The bottom line is who cares what anyone else thinks. The decision is yours.

I started using an EFB on the iPad when the 2nd iPad was first released. (more than 10-years ago / I think 12-years) It was a "full size" iPad. At that time there was no other iPad size. I am typically not an early adopter of new tech but after flying with a friend that had the 1st iPad with EFB, I knew I had to have one. The full size worked great as a knee board in the RV-6.

I eventually acquired an iPad mini. I like it a lot better than the full size. I was using the iPad for more than just flying and eventually the iPad mini just was not powerful enough for everything else I was using it for.

I switched back to the 10.5" iPad Pro. IT had enough power to do everything I wanted BUT I hated it in the airplane. I picked up a used iPad mini and dedicated it for airplane only use.

After having had two or three iPad minis, I am using an older model for the airplane only and it works great. Only issue now is that I am unable to read some of the frequencies on the airport info tab when in turbulence. I have had my eyes checked twice over the past two years and still have the same Rx for reading. Just turned the "accessibility" option on to be able to magnify text. I think it will be what I need but need more time using that option to know for sure.

Most likely, I will never go back to the "standard" size (full size) iPad for airplane flying. The mini is what I like the best.

Just like headsets and underwear, everyone will have and like what works best for them.

Just trying to pass on my "opinion."

There is a wealth of info on best iPad for aviation use. Size wise that is up to you.

Regardless of screen size I read some iPad models are better for aviation / cockpit use than others: Internal GPS, Cell phone connectivity, screen quality / readability in sunlight, battery life, how hot it runs.

I'm an Android Tab driver. Foreflight does not run on Android, so I use FltPlan Go and WingX, which are free or free to CFI's. I am thinking of going to the dark side... Apple.

Last edited:
As noted it is somewhat of a personal choice, I have tried the various generations of the minis (currently have the mini 6), and the 11 inch Ipad pro. The minis are the best size in the cockpit, but they are not as bright as the pro and the screen is very reflective making reading difficult in our cockpits. In addition if your panel has multiple screens the locations for the ipad are limited and I find them either too far away for my glasses prescription or too close.

My current setup has the mini6 in a pocket for occasional in flight use and light weight travel computing, and my iPhone 13 Pro MAX mounted vertically on a quad lock mount on the left side rail, the iphone is brighter than the mini and big enough to use foreflight and other aviation apps, and is bluetoothed to the GNX375 and my Bose A20s. Sort of a all around compromise but works OK for me.
Figs

Back