What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Simplified fuel tank vents?

kcameron

Well Known Member
I've been considering a mod for my RV-7 that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. I've read some stories about RVs suffering power loss at high/cold altitudes where the culprit was assumed to be icing of the tank vents. I say "assumed" because there's usually no evidence after the plane lands since the ice has presumably melted. I believe that Bruce Bohannon experienced this on one of his record attempts.

Of course, I don't know any better than anyone else whether fuel vent icing was really the culprit. However, looking at the RV fuel vent design, I think I see a vulnerability. The vent line is run from the high point of the tank near the fuel filler, down to the wing root, into the cabin, up to its highest point near the canopy, then back down to through the cabin floor to exit underneath the plane. It took a few minutes of staring at the plans to figure it all out. I guess it's done this way to prevent fuel spillage when doing aerobatics. As far as I know this is the standard design for all RVs. The problem I see is that it creates a low point in the vent line in which water an possibly collect. Either by flying through rain, condensation, or (as in Mr. Bohannon's case) runoff of a water-spray cooling system, it's possible for water to make it's way into the vent tube and collect at the low point. The relatively low air-flow rate into the tube probably isn't enough to clear out the moisture; especially in the gently sloping section from the low point to the fuel filler. When the plane climbs to high altitude, the moisture starts freezing, and eventually blocks airflow into the tank.

I don't really know how likely that scenario is. However, it seems clear that it's possible. There's also a simple fix: simplify it. Instead of running the vent into the cabin and up, why not just bring the vent out the bottom of the wing fairing at the root? This would eliminate the low point and reduce the chances of ice accumulating in the vent. It would also make the plane a bit lighter. I can't see any drawbacks. It seems like it would even work for inverted flight with full tanks.

So what do you all think? Is this a good idea or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Kev

How much fuel would drip out with full tanks? Part of the reason for the loop de loop in the vent line is to keep fuel from dripping out.

It seems unlikely that rain would be able to travel 3 feet up hill in the cabin loop to get into the vent line in the first place, especially since the air in the vent line (as you pointed out) is low velocity.

It would be a good idea to clear out the vent line occasionally. Not sure how one would do that.

Thanks for the feedback, gang.

As far as fuel leaking out with full tanks, I don't know for sure. However, I'd guess it would be about the same as pipers and cessnas which use essentially the same system that I describe. I've seen some fuel leak on those when I top the tanks but it's never been a significant problem. Perhaps others have had more trouble?

I'm not convinced that the loop helps much with leakage anyway. If there's a large amount of overflow into the vent tube due to temperature or pressure differences, then fuel will still spill out onto the ground. Smaller overflows will be contained within the loop. However, it seems relatively unlikely that the fuel will end up getting sucked back into the tank. It seems more likely that the fuel will sit in the tube and air will bubble through it as fuel is used from the tank. So not only is the fuel just as unusable as it would be if it hit the ground, it would eventually evaporate; leaving behind whatever contaminants it held. I guess if this happens a lot over many years, the gook left behind might even begin to significantly restrict airflow. Seems like a remote possibility, though.

Thanks for the link to the rocket system. I'd forgotten about that. It's an example where at least some builders don't think the high loop in the cockpit is needed. However, it still has the low spot where moisture can accumulate and freeze.

Good point about the low airflow rate making it less likely to suck water into the vertical tube. However, condensation might still be a problem.

Kev

What I might be concerned with is the accumulation of ice on the screen/filter at the exit point of the vent tube on the bottom of the fuselage. It seems that this location is a good one since the temperature of the air there would be warmed by the engine heat seeping through the cowl. But I'm not too sure about that. Many have said that this location is inappropriate for the OAT just because of that fact. Is it enought to keep ice from accumulating on the vent exit? Dunno. But I would like to get rid of those as I'm sure there is some drag penalty. Perhaps an aerodynamic shroud of sorts. Heck, if I were going to go through that trouble I would probably make a shroud for the fuel drains too. I've seen shrouds for the fuel drains for sale and they look like they might work.

Back