What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex and the Skirt

TimR

I am currently trimming my canopy and will be making the Big Cut in a day or two. I plan to use Sikaflex to bond the canopy to the frame. Here's the question: What's the technique to bond the top of the skirt to the portion of the frame where the canopy is Sikaflexed? For WD-819C, D, and E and the lower frame, I'll rivet. Just not sure about that top part of the skirt. Thoughts?

Skirt

I am currently trimming my canopy and will be making the Big Cut in a day or two. I plan to use Sikaflex to bond the canopy to the frame. Here's the question: What's the technique to bond the top of the skirt to the portion of the frame where the canopy is Sikaflexed? For WD-819C, D, and E and the lower frame, I'll rivet. Just not sure about that top part of the skirt. Thoughts?

Use the rivet holes as cleko holes till the Sika cures. Remove the clekos and fill the holes.
My canopy plexi only has one hole for the latch.
Check my blog (below). Four Kitplanes articles take you from The Big Cut to bonding skirts.

I did mine similarly to what Wirejock said. I cleco the skirt to assembly until it is fully cured.

Me too!

I’ll add a me too thanks to Larrys’s excellent work. I Sika’d the side and rear skirt and also “laid up” a single piece canopy skirt of fiberglass. It worked out nicely.

Back