What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side panel backing

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Looking for suggestions for a backing material to glue leather on for side panels.

I had some scrap aluminum and made templates that could work but they weigh too much. Weight came in just shy of 6 pounds. I know that’s only a gallon of fuel but seems heavy when you put the leather on top.

One thought is to use 2 layers of cloth and glass. Light and flexible but have to fabricate. I want to avoid something flammable.

Suggestions?

I did a couple of things.
I experimented with some thin perspex sheet from the hardware store. I found that too flexible.
For the flat panels I ended up using 2mm marine ply. stiff and light. Dosent satisfy your flammability requirement, but they aren't big.
For anther part I bent up 020 alclad into a channel then covered it. It is very small and light.
I didnt weigh all the parts. 6 small panels. but id be surprised if they weighed more than a few pounds in total.
Still need to do something about the lower footwells in the front.

IMG_7933.jpg

IMG_7932.jpg

IMG_7930.jpg

IMG_7927.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

IMG_7906.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

Leather panels are going to be a little heavy no matter how you back it. I used aluminum sheet for a leather backing because it was easier for me to work with. Poster board templates got the shape right, then I sheared the aluminum to size. If the panel is supported by the fuselage skin, you can probably get away with 0.016" sheet. I used 0.032" where the panel was supported between ribs and had a storage pocket sewn in, as I wanted a little extra support there.

In hindsight, it probably would have been lighter and better to paint more of that area when the fuselage was mostly empty and skip the leather. Van's even suggests not painting the forward side of the seat supports where the cushions rest, just to save weight. I wanted leather where my arms and legs touched--and I was fully aware there would be a weight penalty. To me, it was worth that to not be touching the hot skin in the Texas sun.

Back