What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should this be removed & plug put in?

fbgmom

I'm New Here
Screenshot_20240131_101025_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_101224_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_101224_Gallery.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 129
Mechanic said it is not doing anything, that it looks like there is a tube looped around from it back into it and then one going to the engine. He suggested removing it and plugging. Just not sure why my dad would not have taken it out if not needed. -Daughter of RV6a builder who bought it back and flew it, with her instructor, for his 80th birthday, getting it ready for her transition from Skyhawk trainer.

Could you please provide some additional photos that show where the breather hoses attached to the Separator actually go to? From the pitures provided its not really possible to tell what is happening there. If the Separator is completely disconnected then you're carrying around a dead weight for nothing, but I suspect there is more to it than that as your Dad would have removed it if this were the case, right?

While you are taking pictures, take a pic or two showing where the crankcase breather hose goes now (since apparently it doesn’t go to the pictured separator).

Could you please provide some additional photos that show where the breather hoses attached to the Separator actually go to? From the pitures provided its not really possible to tell what is happening there. If the Separator is completely disconnected then you're carrying around a dead weight for nothing, but I suspect there is more to it than that as your Dad would have removed it if this were the case, right?
First picture shows a hose that loops around and back into separator. Second shows hose from bottom to engine. I certainly think he would have removed it if it weren't serving any purpose. He was very concerned about weight.

Attachments

• 20240220_185011.jpg
    20240220_185011.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 141
  • 20240220_184958.jpg
    20240220_184958.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 136
I think this is it?

From the pics it looks like the "new" separator is connected to the breather and the "old" looped one is doing nothing. Remove the looped one and plug/cap where the drain line connects (no picture) to whatever.

I agree with Al, above. There is clearly a replacement oil separator mounted on the top left side of your firewall and those particular separators work well so there is no need to remove it in favour of the one which is disconnected. From what you've provided it appears to me the small separator mounted to the engine mount can be removed from the aircraft completely.

Its supposition on my part but perhaps your Dad has installed the new one on the firewall and thought to himself he would "see how it goes", leaving the old one in place in case the other separator didn't work out to be as efficient and then it would be a simple matter to just reconnect the one on the engine mount back up top the engine. Just a guess, of course.

I hope this helps. Think of all the weight you will save! :D

Back